Products ranged from UAVs and jet engines to human skull and knee replacements
Stories by Lucas Mearian
The cause of a fire that shut down part of the world’s largest solar power plant on Friday is still under investigation, as plant operator NRG Energy looks for the reason its mirrors became misaligned and set pipes on fire.
Firefighters were forced to climb 300 feet up a tower at the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System in California to reach a water boiler damaged after mirrors focusing the sun’s rays on it set it on fire.
UPS and SAP plan to collaborate to create a supply chain network based on 3D printing for on-demand manufacturing.
Physicians and 3D printing manufacturers are successfully using biomaterials to print splints, tissue scaffolds and other devices that grow and bend with a patient, and in some cases are even saving lives.
As manufacturers move to turn more products into digital files that can be transmitted to 3D printers awaiting orders, warehouses and excess inventory could be eliminated.
Sunrun, one of the largest U.S. residential solar installers, has become the second company to begin selling Tesla's Powerwall batteries to customers.
Renewables are now the world's fastest-growing energy source and will increase 2.6% per year through 2040, but but fossil fuels still supply more than three-quarters of world energy use.
Nissan and power management company Eaton Electrical have joined forces to create new residential energy storage unit designed to rival Tesla's Powerwall home battery as the most affordable on the market.
An all-electric vehicle maker from Salt Lake City plans to release the first working prototypes of a 2,000HP hybrid electric semitrailer truck later this year, as well as a 520HP all-electric 4x4 utility vehicle (UTV).
Already the second-largest producer of solar power for a U.S. city, San Diego announced a new plan to up its game to 100% renewable energy over the next 20 years, but other cities have far more ambitious goals.
Start-up H2 Energy Renaissance unveiled a hydrogen generator that can make hydrogen gas for $1 or less per kilogram and used by fuel cells to produce electricity.
The costs of consumer and small business-grade solar systems have dropped significantly in recent years, sparking a move away from leasing the systems to outright purchases so owners can reap the financial benefits.
At the Intel Developers Forum (IDF) this week, the company offered plans for a Type-C for audio connector that would replace the 3.5 millimeter mini-jack.
Google's Alphabet company has formed a lobbying group with Ford, Volvo and other carmakers to press the U.S. government on regulations to help move the self-driving car industry to market.
- Solutions Architect - Enterprise Applications NSW
- Contract Analyst Programmer (.NET C#/MS ASP .NET) 160526/AP/263 Asia
- Big Data Developer WA
- Contract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160526/AP/506 Asia
- Data Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQL NSW
- Deployment Project Engineer NSW
- Solution Architect ACT
- DevOps Specialist VIC
- Senior Test Analyst QLD
- IT Environment and Deployment Specialist QLD
- APJ businesses think they will be breached: Here's why: Read the article NOW
- Hear from those who have been there, done it and transformed their business for the better with AWS Cloud. View their stories and other informative AWS sessions On-Demand.
- F5 Security Hub NEW Look - Try us out today
- NEW Gigamon Transform Security Zone - Find out more now!
- Help us better understand the trends and major practices related to technology use in STEM education. Take this two minute survey NOW.