A lot of the open source projects I really dig are things like Syllable OS, a non-Linux-based attempt to create a 'best practices' open source desktop operating system, and Uzebox, a really cool 'retro-minimalist' games console based on open source hardware.
The Open Search Server project has released a new developer preview, including a new screenshot feature that captures screenshots of the Web pages being crawled, similar to the preview feature of a big name public search engine.
There’s a concerning shift in the operating system industry. Vendors are slimming down their offerings to the extent that the operating system itself is becoming more of a single purpose conduit for social media and content services, all in the name of money. So is it wrong to suggest vendors have a vested interest in making their OS products "dumber"?
Many people in the free software communities are venting their fear today after the news that Microsoft will acquire Skype for more than $8 billion. The most pressing question – will Skype continued to be supported on non-Microsoft operating systems, particularly Linux – remains open to speculation. Hold that thought and let me argue why Microsoft killing non-Windows releases of Skype is the best thing that can happen to open source VoIP.
- Join Skeeve Stevens, Stanley Shanapinda, and more on how to manage metadata to maximise your ability to detect and prevent an attack. Register
- Next-generation SIEM turns low-level security monitoring for high-level business goals
- As networks evolve, visibility remains key to managing IT-security risk in business terms
- Start your cloud journey. Register now and learn a wide range of AWS cloud solutions covered in the monthly AWS Webinar Series.
- Join special guest Jeff Lanza, Retired FBI Agent (USA), Ty Miller, Mark Gregory & Andy Solterbeck for a discussion on ransomware security
- AISA 2016 | Hear from Bruce Schneier, David Lacey, Rik Ferguson and many more | 18-20th October Register Today
- Test Your Knowledge of Network Encryption
- CLOUDSEC2016 - Timothy Wallach, Cyber Taskforce FBI (USA) speaks on the status & evolution of global cybercrime. Save your seat
- New Destination Gigamon Security Resources IS HERE
- The Future is Encrypted. Manage It.
- Ransomware explosion is the latest security wakeup call for CxOs
- Caution: That SSL Blind Spot is Growing
- See Your Traffic for What It Really Is