A lot of the open source projects I really dig are things like Syllable OS, a non-Linux-based attempt to create a 'best practices' open source desktop operating system, and Uzebox, a really cool 'retro-minimalist' games console based on open source hardware.
The Open Search Server project has released a new developer preview, including a new screenshot feature that captures screenshots of the Web pages being crawled, similar to the preview feature of a big name public search engine.
There’s a concerning shift in the operating system industry. Vendors are slimming down their offerings to the extent that the operating system itself is becoming more of a single purpose conduit for social media and content services, all in the name of money. So is it wrong to suggest vendors have a vested interest in making their OS products "dumber"?
Many people in the free software communities are venting their fear today after the news that Microsoft will acquire Skype for more than $8 billion. The most pressing question – will Skype continued to be supported on non-Microsoft operating systems, particularly Linux – remains open to speculation. Hold that thought and let me argue why Microsoft killing non-Windows releases of Skype is the best thing that can happen to open source VoIP.
- NEW Gigamon Transform Security Zone - Find out more now!
- AISA 2016 | Hear from Bruce Schneier, David Lacey, Rik Ferguson and many more | 18-20th October Register Today
- Help us better understand the trends and major practices related to technology use in STEM education. Take this two minute survey NOW.
- Jetstar talks 'How To' on collaboration tools and PwC plan & refine your collaboration journey | Save your seat today
- Start your cloud journey. Register now and learn a wide range of AWS cloud solutions covered in the monthly AWS Webinar Series.
- APJ businesses think they will be breached: Here's why: Read the article NOW
- F5 Security Hub NEW Look - Try us out today