A lot of the open source projects I really dig are things like Syllable OS, a non-Linux-based attempt to create a 'best practices' open source desktop operating system, and Uzebox, a really cool 'retro-minimalist' games console based on open source hardware.
The Open Search Server project has released a new developer preview, including a new screenshot feature that captures screenshots of the Web pages being crawled, similar to the preview feature of a big name public search engine.
There’s a concerning shift in the operating system industry. Vendors are slimming down their offerings to the extent that the operating system itself is becoming more of a single purpose conduit for social media and content services, all in the name of money. So is it wrong to suggest vendors have a vested interest in making their OS products "dumber"?
Many people in the free software communities are venting their fear today after the news that Microsoft will acquire Skype for more than $8 billion. The most pressing question – will Skype continued to be supported on non-Microsoft operating systems, particularly Linux – remains open to speculation. Hold that thought and let me argue why Microsoft killing non-Windows releases of Skype is the best thing that can happen to open source VoIP.
The following report, is based on a global survey of 706 IT and security professionals conducted in the United States, Canada, Germany, United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. The goal of the survey was to capture data on current attitudes and trends with mobile devices and IT security. This is the third survey on this topic and this report evaluates differences in responses to similar questions asked over the past two years.
You’ve read about the advantages of continuous delivery. You’ve seen analyst reports describing the urgency of accelerating application delivery. Now… see for yourself. Start your free trial of HP Codar right now. Experience all of the new ways it can help you automate deployment and hit the accelerator on delivery of high-quality, rigorously tested applications.
- Interpol pushes for more use of biometrics to ID terrorists
- Lenovo introduces new budget laptops
- Ads for MacKeeper refunds will run on Facebook
- Suncorp's 'Ignite' delivers results for bank
- Customs biometrics to be ramped up by 2020
- NBN reports increased revenue, losses
- Suncorp's cloud transformation on track
- Rubrik adds $41m in funding, releases backup appliance
- At Google I/O, Android may push deeper into the home
- In Pictures: Seven best practices for cloud security
- In Pictures: Windows 10 - Which classic Microsoft default apps should be killed?
- In Pictures: 10 start-ups that are disrupting healthcare IT
- Oculus acquires image recognition startup Surreal Vision
- Thieves stole data on 100,000 US taxpayers through IRS app
- Private, insulting tweet gets Italian senator sued