This is obviously a sad news for slashdot and those connected. Firstly its already going through a fall and next such a talented person has left their team.
A shocking resignation
It's the resignation that has sent shockwaves through geekdom. A tragic loss of someone who was a real pioneer in his field — I mean sure, he's still kicking but he's stepped down from the role that's made him famous.
Yes, it's sad but true: CmdrTaco — aka Rob Malda — has resigned from Slashdot, the site he founded.
Slashdot.org — "News for nerds, stuff that matters" — launched in 1997 and has long been a favourite among techies. I created my first account back in 2004, but even before that I was a regular reader. In fact, for many years it was the first site I would visit when I opened my browser, in order to get my tech fix. I still remember the excitement of getting a story on the front page (I think it was an IT security related article by the Sydney Morning Herald).
So many memories: CmdrTaco proposing to his girlfriend using the site, the endless trolling (the 'glory' years of the GNAA), obscene ASCII art in comments, and a lot of great tech news.
For many websites, the "Slashdot effect" — the barrage of traffic that could bring a Web server down after a link to a site hit the front page — could be a real issue. It even has its own Wikipedia entry.
These days, Slashdot isn't as popular as some of the (relatively) young upstarts like reddit. But it's still a great read, and one of my first ports of call when I log on to my PC in the morning (and one of my last before I log out in the evening)*.
As always, feel free to drop me a line at rohan_pearce at idg.com.au if you need to share your nostalgic ramblings about the good old days on the internet. You can also find me as @rohan_p on Twitter.
PS that Apple guy also resigned this week.
* When I was younger, I wanted a job that would involve reading Slashdot. Yes, sometimes dreams do come true; in retrospect maybe I should have dreamed about world peace or something.
Hurrah, that's what I was looking for, what a material! existing here at this website, thanks admin of this site.
Excellent weblog here! Also your site a lot up very fast! What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate hyperlink in your host? I desire my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol
I think the admin of this website is in fact working hard in support of his website, because here every data is quality based data.
Excellent blog you've got here.. It's difficult to find good quality writing like yours these days. I seriously appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!
At this moment I am ready to do my breakfast, when having my breakfast coming again to read further news.
I like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I'll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I am quite sure I'll learn lots of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!
I do not even know the way I finished up here, but I thought this post used to be good. I don't know who you're however definitely you are going to a well-known blogger if you happen to are not already. Cheers!
WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for anti aging skin care
Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thank you so much, However I am having issues with your RSS. I don't know why I can't subscribe to it. Is there anyone else getting identical RSS issues? Anybody who knows the solution can you kindly respond? Thanks!!
Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group? There's a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks
Excellent goods from you, man. I've take into accout your stuff previous to and you are simply too great. I really like what you have acquired right here, really like what you are saying and the way in which during which you say it. You are making it entertaining and you still take care of to stay it wise. I can not wait to learn far more from you. That is really a terrific web site.
Great web site. Plenty of helpful information here. I'm sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks in your sweat!
I'm gone to say to my little brother, that he should also visit this webpage on regular basis to take updated from most up-to-date news update.
Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your site. You have some really good articles and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Regards!
This whitepaper is the second in a three-part series on distributed denial of service attacks (DDoS) and multi-tier DDoS protection. This section details the design and capabilities of different forms of protection architecture designed for a variety of circumstances, while also providing alternative approaches. The paper also explains how to maintain availability, including network and application defense and DNS DDoS Mitigation.
- FTMicrosoft Business Intelligence DeveloperNSW
- FTBrand Relationship Manager | RTB Trading Desk | Digital Advertising | SydneyNSW
- FTMicrosoft Business Intelligence ConsultantNSW
- FTCampaign Managers | RTB | Display + Video | Trading desk |SydneyNSW
- FTIT Support EngineerNSW
- FTOBIEE BI/DW ConsultantNSW
- FTDeliverability SpecialistNSW
Read how Perth-based safety footwear manufacturer, Steel Blue, was able to cut costs with shipping and improve efficiency while meeting the growing demand for their products as they expanded their national and export markets and increased their local market share, all thanks to a new ERP system.
- TSMC benefits from demand for high-tech smartphone chips
- SAP reports strong growth in cloud amid slow overall revenue growth
- Windows XP's retirement turns into major security project for Chinese firm
- Strong PS4 sales create supply problems for Sony
- Telcos seek to strengthen NBN Co wholesale restrictions
- Kim Dotcom says he's set to get assets back
- NBN Co seeks ‘early resolution’ of TPG fibre threat
- Sedgman unearths greater value for cost with ITSM switch
- Teen arrested in Heartbleed attack against Canadian tax site
- A look at the world's most powerful X-ray laser
- IBM profit falls on weak hardware sales, transition costs
- In Pictures: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- Google revenue jumps 19 per cent but still disappoints
- AT&T wearables to hit the smartwatch runway soon
- Fortinet, McAfee, Trend Micro, Bitdefender battle in socially-engineered malware prevention test