This is obviously a sad news for slashdot and those connected. Firstly its already going through a fall and next such a talented person has left their team.
A shocking resignation
It's the resignation that has sent shockwaves through geekdom. A tragic loss of someone who was a real pioneer in his field — I mean sure, he's still kicking but he's stepped down from the role that's made him famous.
Yes, it's sad but true: CmdrTaco — aka Rob Malda — has resigned from Slashdot, the site he founded.
Slashdot.org — "News for nerds, stuff that matters" — launched in 1997 and has long been a favourite among techies. I created my first account back in 2004, but even before that I was a regular reader. In fact, for many years it was the first site I would visit when I opened my browser, in order to get my tech fix. I still remember the excitement of getting a story on the front page (I think it was an IT security related article by the Sydney Morning Herald).
So many memories: CmdrTaco proposing to his girlfriend using the site, the endless trolling (the 'glory' years of the GNAA), obscene ASCII art in comments, and a lot of great tech news.
For many websites, the "Slashdot effect" — the barrage of traffic that could bring a Web server down after a link to a site hit the front page — could be a real issue. It even has its own Wikipedia entry.
These days, Slashdot isn't as popular as some of the (relatively) young upstarts like reddit. But it's still a great read, and one of my first ports of call when I log on to my PC in the morning (and one of my last before I log out in the evening)*.
As always, feel free to drop me a line at rohan_pearce at idg.com.au if you need to share your nostalgic ramblings about the good old days on the internet. You can also find me as @rohan_p on Twitter.
PS that Apple guy also resigned this week.
* When I was younger, I wanted a job that would involve reading Slashdot. Yes, sometimes dreams do come true; in retrospect maybe I should have dreamed about world peace or something.
Hurrah, that's what I was looking for, what a material! existing here at this website, thanks admin of this site.
Excellent weblog here! Also your site a lot up very fast! What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate hyperlink in your host? I desire my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol
I think the admin of this website is in fact working hard in support of his website, because here every data is quality based data.
Excellent blog you've got here.. It's difficult to find good quality writing like yours these days. I seriously appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!
At this moment I am ready to do my breakfast, when having my breakfast coming again to read further news.
I like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I'll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I am quite sure I'll learn lots of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!
I do not even know the way I finished up here, but I thought this post used to be good. I don't know who you're however definitely you are going to a well-known blogger if you happen to are not already. Cheers!
WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for anti aging skin care
Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thank you so much, However I am having issues with your RSS. I don't know why I can't subscribe to it. Is there anyone else getting identical RSS issues? Anybody who knows the solution can you kindly respond? Thanks!!
Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group? There's a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks
Excellent goods from you, man. I've take into accout your stuff previous to and you are simply too great. I really like what you have acquired right here, really like what you are saying and the way in which during which you say it. You are making it entertaining and you still take care of to stay it wise. I can not wait to learn far more from you. That is really a terrific web site.
Great web site. Plenty of helpful information here. I'm sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks in your sweat!
I'm gone to say to my little brother, that he should also visit this webpage on regular basis to take updated from most up-to-date news update.
Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your site. You have some really good articles and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Regards!
UXC Connect’s Jesmond Psaila says that DevOps can do for IT operations what Agile did for software development. This paper demonstrates how, by combining both approaches, you can significantly improve operational efficiency and time-to-market. • Marketing and development teams want to constantly change or increase functionality, while IT operations teams want to keep the environment as stable as possible • Agile software development and virtualisation have not solved the time-to-value problem faced by marketing and IT operations teams • Recent movements in DevOps aim to address and redefine a more agile service management platform, while new tools have vastly improved functionality to configure and automate common processes
- CCL2 Technical Support Engineer - RightFax/MessagingVIC
- FTSenior Media TraderNSW
- FTDigital Account Manager X 3 | Display + Video advertisingNSW
- FTCampaign Managers | RTB | Display + Video | Trading desk |SydneyNSW
- FTMachine Learning | JAVA | San Fran based global Company | SydneyNSW
- FTCampaign Managers| RTB / Programmatic | Expression of InterestNSW
- FTChief Information OfficerNSW
In the current market, there is an increasing demand for unbiased information about Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions. This whitepaper focuses on relevant solutions with an extensive overview of features for comparison. • The paper discusses Application and Desktop Delivery in the mobile world • Details challenges of the consumerisation of IT and BYO in tomorrow’s workspace • Explains the different Mobile Managements concepts, including the pros and cons
- In earthquakes, alerts may turn machines into action heroes
- Should you buy enterprise applications from a startup?
- Microsoft's Australian Azure region 'just around the corner'
- Healthdirect Australia sees value in open source for security solution
- Namecheap says accounts compromised in hacking incident
- Why hackers may be stealing your credit card numbers for years
- Quickflix suffers $10m loss
- Web Marketing Experts to create 115 new jobs in Melbourne
- Comms Alliance backs website blocking in piracy fight
- Reconnaissance code on industrial software site points to watering hole attack
- China orders Microsoft to explain Windows, Office practices within 20 days
- Europol launches international cybercrime task force
- Show spotlight will be on smartwatches with better looks and connectivity
- China gives Microsoft 20 days to answer questions in anti-monopoly probe
- Happy Labor Day -- will a bot take your help desk job?