The view from the top of IT with TechWorld Editor Rohan Pearce
He has a long-time passion for the physical sciences and has for many years been fascinated by the impact that Maxwell has had on all our lives
Chronology: principal events in Maxwell’s life.
Cast of characters: Maxwell’s relations and close friends.
1. A country boy: Glenlair 1831-1841.
2. Pins and string: Edinburgh Academy 1841-1847.
3. Philosophy: Edinburgh University 1847-1850
4. Learning to juggle: Cambridge 1850-1854.
5. Blue and yellow make pink: Cambridge 1854-1856.
6. Saturn and statistics: Aberdeen 1856-1860.
7. Spinning cells: London 1860-1862.
8. The beautiful equations: London 1862-1865.
9. The Laird at home: Glenlair 1865-1870.
10. The Cavendish: Cambridge 1870-1879.
11. Last days.
12. Maxwell’s legacy.