- 24 February 2012 16:22
Megaupload's Kim Dotcom bursts the jail bubble
Kim Dotcom of Megaupload fame - you'll remember him as the larger-than-life figure who was controversially busted by the cops hiding in a panic room in his $30 million mansion in New Zealand - has finally convinced a court to grant him bail.
Prosecutors have claimed, since Dotcom's arrest in January, that he represented a flight risk. Dotcom had multiple names and nationalities, a lavishly wealthy lifestyle, contacts abroad, a helicopter and lots of cars.
But Dotcom is now free. It seems that he's had sufficiently many assets confiscated that the court no longer thinks he'll be able to get clear of New Zealand and will thus be forced to turn up for his extradition hearing, set for August this year.
According to reports, Dotcom's bail conditions prohibit helicopters near his property, and require him to stay within 80km of his house. (As you can see, even 25km gives him access to plenty of coastline.)
Dotcom is facing extradition to the USA because that's where he's been charged with a raft of serious offences related to his file-sharing service Megaupload, including racketeering (organised criminality) and money laundering.
- Next-generation SIEM turns low-level security monitoring for high-level business goals
- New Destination Gigamon Security Resources IS HERE
- Hear from International Tom Corn on the future of security virtualisation | 28th July 2016 Victoria
- Caution: That SSL Blind Spot is Growing
- AISA 2016 | Hear from Bruce Schneier, David Lacey, Rik Ferguson and many more | 18-20th October Register Today
- As networks evolve, visibility remains key to managing IT-security risk in business terms
- Start your cloud journey. Register now and learn a wide range of AWS cloud solutions covered in the monthly AWS Webinar Series.
- Ransomware explosion is the latest security wakeup call for CxOs
- The Future is Encrypted. Manage It.
- Join ME Bank, Deutsche Bank and Proofpoint (USA) speakers for a discussion on banking trojans. Register now