- 24 February 2012 16:22
Megaupload's Kim Dotcom bursts the jail bubble
Kim Dotcom of Megaupload fame - you'll remember him as the larger-than-life figure who was controversially busted by the cops hiding in a panic room in his $30 million mansion in New Zealand - has finally convinced a court to grant him bail.
Prosecutors have claimed, since Dotcom's arrest in January, that he represented a flight risk. Dotcom had multiple names and nationalities, a lavishly wealthy lifestyle, contacts abroad, a helicopter and lots of cars.
But Dotcom is now free. It seems that he's had sufficiently many assets confiscated that the court no longer thinks he'll be able to get clear of New Zealand and will thus be forced to turn up for his extradition hearing, set for August this year.
According to reports, Dotcom's bail conditions prohibit helicopters near his property, and require him to stay within 80km of his house. (As you can see, even 25km gives him access to plenty of coastline.)
Dotcom is facing extradition to the USA because that's where he's been charged with a raft of serious offences related to his file-sharing service Megaupload, including racketeering (organised criminality) and money laundering.
Flash storage represents a quantum leap from the storage layer in terms of performance, however it is crucial companies understand their I/O profile in order to formulate a successful storage strategy. Find out in this eBook how flash storage can be beneficial for enterprises and useful questions to ask before making an informed decision on the purchase.
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/SA/881Asia
- FTAxway API DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-bAsia
- CCObjective ECMS Technical ConsultantSA
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- CCTeradata DeveloperNSW
- CCAD and FIM EngineerNSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- FTWeb Analytics Specialist - TechnicalNSW
- CCFusion Middleware DeveloperACT
- FTClient Services Manager - Programmatic AdvertisingNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCIT Security EngineerNSW
- FTFull Stack & Mobile EngineersNSW
- CCJira Administrator - Western SydneyNSW
- CCSystem AdminVIC
- CCImmediate iOS Developer Required - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCJava Developer - IOSNSW
- CCData Stage DeveloperNSW
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- FTVB6 DeveloperNSW
- FTJava Web Development OpportunityVIC
This e-book gives insight into what it means to use a hybrid approach to cloud computing and the flexibility and choice that it provides. You will discover the type of technologies and approaches that are imperative for your organisation to create the business value and flexibility the constituents you serve demand.
- Upgrading to SAP Hana? This new tool can help prepare your code
- The eyes have it: How one startup aims to change the future of VR
- Gaming on Linux, Steam machines set to soar with DirectX competitor Vulkan
- Most enterprises plan to boost cloud use this year
- Google didn't abuse its position in Streetmap case, UK court rules
- GitHub apologizes for ignoring community concerns
- New Chromebook won't break with 365-pound person standing on it
- Nasdaq to use blockchain to record shareholder votes
- Pwn2Own contest puts $75,000 bounty on VMware Workstation bypass
- Intel SSDs may get speed, capacity boost with new Micron chips
- Five sue Apple over Error 53 and bricked iPhones
- AT&T to run field trials of 5G wireless in Austin this year
- Apple's iPhone sued for infringement of touch feedback patents
- Need data-science skills? Now your team can learn together
- Hackers of two Ukrainian utilities probably hit mining and railroad targets, too