Center for Democracy and Technology - News, Features, and Slideshows
A project launched by CloudFlare, a provider of website performance and security services, allows organizations engaged in news gathering, civil society and political or artistic speech to use the company's distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) protection technology for free.
By Lucian Constantin | 14 June, 2014 00:23
A debate in the U.S. about whether the National Security Agency should end its bulk collection of U.S. telephone and business records has come down to an argument over the meaning of the word "bulk."
By Grant Gross | 07 June, 2014 04:08
The U.S. Congress would endanger the nation's security by passing even watered-down legislation to limit the National Security Agency's bulk collection of domestic phone records, several U.S. senators said Thursday.
By Grant Gross | 06 June, 2014 08:26
The U.S. House of Representatives has approved a bill that would limit the National Security Agency's bulk collection of domestic phone records, even as several civil liberties and tech groups withdrew their support after last-minute changes.
By Grant Gross | 23 May, 2014 01:54
Email, perhaps still the most widely used Internet application, has about the same level of security as a postcard. But unlike postcards, it's widely depended on by businesses.
By Jeremy Kirk | 03 February, 2014 04:45
After six months of contentious debate over U.S. National Security Agency surveillance programs, prompted by leaks from former government contractor Edward Snowden, the third week in December may have marked a major turning point.
By Grant Gross | 20 December, 2013 16:11
The US presidential election result leaves President Barack Obama in the White House and maintains the balance of power in Congress. In many longstanding technology debates, policy experts see little movement forward, although lawmakers may look for compromises on a handful of issues.
By Grant Gross | 07 November, 2012 19:06
If you’re looking for your first ERP system or looking to upgrade from an existing system, the evaluation, selection and implementation process is a long-term strategic decision for your organization. To help you through this process, here are eight simple steps for a successful ERP system selection.
A successful mobile deployment using ActiveSync depends on giving users a reliable, stable sync experience. But if any of the many moving parts in the EAS data path fail or degrade, the experience will suffer. Read this whitepaper to learn how to get ahead of EAS challenges by providing reliable mobile service—particularly for BYOD users.
- Low-cost Android tablets to get 4K video with Allwinner 64-bit chip
- Apple unwraps OS X Yosemite public beta Thursday
- Seagate wireless drive can now stream to Roku set-top box
- Is Sony's Walkman set to make a comeback?
- UK government adopts ODF for document exchange with citizens and suppliers
- Dutch spy agencies can receive NSA data, court rules
- Oracle ships nearly 60 mobile apps for JD Edwards
- BlackBerry offers BES10 as a hosted service through partners
- Mozilla ships Firefox 31, adds search to new tab page
- Japan Airlines hopes smartwatches for gate staff will fly
- File-encrypting Android ransomware 'Simplocker' targets English-speaking users
- Dropbox for Business grows more security, IT admin muscles
- Google rival slams EU Commission over antitrust settlement proposals
- Mt. Gox trustee leaves door open to revival of Bitcoin exchange
- SQL injection flaw in Wall Street Journal database led to breach