Configuration / maintenance - News, Features, and Slideshows
Windows Server 2003, Microsoft's first ultra-successful server operating system, will retire in six months, a deadline that many companies will miss, experts said today.
By Gregg Keizer | 20 January, 2015 22:08
Tech companies made a strong showing among the top U.S. patent recipients for 2014, with IBM dominating the rankings as it has for more than two decades.
By Ann Bednarz | 13 January, 2015 01:10
Cisco CEO John Chambers said the company's decision to sue data center switch rival Arista Networks now was made after surprising statements Arista made this year.
By Jim Duffy | 12 December, 2014 11:08
SAN JOSE -- By the end of 2015, all of Cisco's Catalyst 6500 data center customers will have deployed the company's new Nexus 9000 switch.
By Jim Duffy | 10 December, 2014 13:16
The single most common issue faced by the IT pros surveyed recently by Kelton Research is network slowdowns or outages, which outstripped application performance problems, availability and even the dreaded "unanticipated change request."
By Jon Gold | 03 December, 2014 07:49
By now everyone is aware of the performance leap offered by solid-state drives (SSDs) compared to hard disk drives (HDDs), but some SSD myths persist. It's time to separate fact from fiction.
By By Chuck Brown, SSD business development manager, Intel | 23 January, 2015 09:25
IT infrastructure is constantly riding the often-tumultuous waves of consolidation and separation. A typical example would be the eras of mainframe, open systems, and PC computing. No surprise there. For the past three to five years, server virtualization has been a catalyst for data center consolidation, (even though for the most part, IT has mapped server virtualization initiatives to existing IT infrastructure choices, or dare I say legacy infrastructure).
By Mark Bowker | 13 January, 2015 03:55
As more and more servers are virtualized, connections between them are increasingly handled by virtual switches running on the same servers, begging the question, does the top of rack data center network switchultimately get subsumed into the server?
By Jim Duffy | 08 January, 2015 02:59
When the American Red Cross talks about mission-critical systems, it's referring to the blood supply that helps save lives. The non-profit organization manages 40% of the U.S.'s blood supply, so stability, reliability and tight security are of paramount concern, says DeWayne Bell, vice president of IT infrastructure and engineering.
By Esther Shein | 22 December, 2014 22:09
It hasn't been lost on the IT vendor community and IT professionals that Cisco is absent from the VMware EVO:RAIL partner program. With all of the powerhouses participating in the program, you'd think that Cisco would jump right into the mix. Considering Cisco's growth in the server market and the fact that it doesn't currently have its own storage play, this opportunity appears to be ideal for Cisco.
By Mark Bowker | 13 December, 2014 07:21
Frost & Sullivan’s award highlights four key performance drivers that distinguish LogRhythm: Key Features include; Brand Performance, Technical Leadership, Defining the Market for Competitors, and Product Line Depth. Download today to get the full Frost and Sullivan Best Practices Research for SIEM and log management.
- Google defends policy that leaves most Android devices unpatched
- NIST pledges transparency in NSA dealings over crypto standards
- North Carolina could be next in Google Fiber roll-out
- Conference calls a waste of time? In 1915, this one made history
- Box rides high on Wall Street’s warm welcome
- China tightens Internet control by blocking VPN services
- NFL statement on New England Patriots Deflate-gate
- A Doomsday Clock reading guide
- Microsoft releases big update to Windows 10 preview
- U.S. to impose big tariffs on China and Taiwan for dumping solar panels on market
- US spy program has financial, security impacts, says Snowden
- NASA tests robotic helicopter that would act as Mars scout
- No worries! Asteroid to safely pass Earth on Monday
- Sony delays earnings report in wake of hack attack
- Microsoft to acquire R language powerhouse Revolution Analytics