Data Center - News, Features, and Slideshows
Data Center in pictures
The announcement Monday that saw Google reorganize under the banner of new holding company Alphabet was Big News, we all seem to agree, but it's much less clear exactly what kind of Big News it is.
By Jon Gold | 13 August, 2015 23:14
A federal judge dismissed Cisco's indirect infringement claims against Arista Networks, a complaint that accompanied <a href="http://www.networkworld.com/article/2856972/cisco-subnet/arista-fires-back-at-ciscos-suits.html">a patent and copyright infringement case</a> against its data center rival.
By Jim Duffy | 16 July, 2015 03:32
IBM's Power Systems division which sells servers and systems based on the Power system architecture, as opposed to the Intel-based x86 architecture used in most personal computers had been in free-fall for some time, posting year-on-year revenue declines of up to 37% per quarter over the past couple of years. According to the conventional wisdom, Power was another victim along with SPARC and, to a lesser extent, ARM of the inexorable march of the commodity x86 server.
By Jon Gold | 26 June, 2015 21:55
A new study says that 30% of all physical servers in data centers are comatose, or are using energy but delivering no useful information. What's remarkable is that that percentage hasn't changed since 2008, when a separate study showed the same thing.
By Patrick Thibodeau | 20 June, 2015 02:36
In 1995, the top-grossing film in the U.S. was Batman Forever. (Val Kilmer as Batman, Jim Carrey as the Riddler, Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face. Yeah.) The L.A. Rams were moving back to St. Louis, and Michael Jordan was moving back to the Bulls. Violence was rife in the Balkans. The O.J. trial happened.
By Jon Gold | 15 July, 2015 04:39
Tech Media Watch: HBO's "Silicon Valley" set to wrap 2nd season – it won't be "Game Of Thrones"-esque but it'll do
The far-and-away best satire of the technology industry on TV airs the last episode of its second season Sunday night, and you really should be watching. <em>Silicon Valley</em> has continued to bring the funny throughout the second set of episodes, and the finale looks like it's leading up to a fairly insane climax.
By Jon Gold | 17 June, 2015 01:49
This past fall saw the worst Ebola outbreak ever ravage western Africa, and while medical researchers are trying to find a drug to treat or prevent the disease, the process is long and complicated. That's because you don't just snap your fingers and produce a drug with a virus like Ebola.
By Andy Patrizio | 11 March, 2015 07:24
Disaggregation seems to be all the rage in networking these days.
By Jim Duffy | 02 March, 2015 22:12
<em>This vendor-written tech primer has been edited by Network World to eliminate product promotion, but readers should note it will likely favor the submitter's approach.</em>
By By Ferhat Hatay, Fujitsu Oracle Center of Excellence | 10 February, 2015 06:57
Whitepapers about Data Center
The market for integrated systems is a key growth area for data centre hardware infrastructure. This report sizes the market and profiles early leaders in this important and emerging area. • The integrated systems market is growing, with revenue increasing 53.7% year on year. • Large enterprises are currently the key customers, while the small business segment is underserved. • There is significant opportunity for overall segment growth
Flash storage represents a quantum leap from the storage layer in terms of performance, however it is crucial companies understand their I/O profile in order to formulate a successful storage strategy. Find out in this eBook how flash storage can be beneficial for enterprises and useful questions to ask before making an informed decision on the purchase.
- CCIT Security EngineerNSW
- FTLinux AdministratorVIC
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSharePoint Web DeveloperACT
- FTJunior Software Developer- Complex Tax/ Superannuation SolutionNSW
- FTDatabase AdministratorVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (MSSQL/.Net/Mobile App) 160122/SA/vhaAsia
- FT.NET Tech LeadVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Military jets, subs, bases and networksACT
- CCContract System Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/SA/881Asia
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- CCSenior Test AnalystSA
- FTServer EngineerNSW
- CCVMWare Horizon View 6.1 roll out & IT support | Short contract | Macquarie ParkNSW
- FTSenior Performance Test AnalystNSW
- FTIT Cyber Security Requirements ConsultantACT
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW
- FTManual Software TesterNSW
This whitepaper looks at the security gaps and disconnects in organisations, how network virtualisation can help to reduce risk and support a higher-level security strategy and why micro-segmentation provided through network virtualisation paves the way for implementing a Zero Trust model.
- Upgrading to SAP Hana? This new tool can help prepare your code
- The eyes have it: How one startup aims to change the future of VR
- Gaming on Linux, Steam machines set to soar with DirectX competitor Vulkan
- Most enterprises plan to boost cloud use this year
- Google didn't abuse its position in Streetmap case, UK court rules
- GitHub apologizes for ignoring community concerns
- New Chromebook won't break with 365-pound person standing on it
- Nasdaq to use blockchain to record shareholder votes
- Pwn2Own contest puts $75,000 bounty on VMware Workstation bypass
- Intel SSDs may get speed, capacity boost with new Micron chips
- Five sue Apple over Error 53 and bricked iPhones
- AT&T to run field trials of 5G wireless in Austin this year
- Apple's iPhone sued for infringement of touch feedback patents
- Need data-science skills? Now your team can learn together
- Hackers of two Ukrainian utilities probably hit mining and railroad targets, too