Data storage - News, Features, and Slideshows
An industry consortium has released a roadmap that new recording technologies could yield 100TB hard drives in about 10 years.
By Lucas Mearian | 26 November, 2014 06:03
SanDisk today announced a USB flash drive with a Lightning connector that can be used with iPhones and iPads to automatically offload photos and videos with special software.
By Lucas Mearian | 14 November, 2014 05:34
Hard drive firmware that IT administrators use to monitor hard drive health is highly inconsistent from drive to drive and manufacturer to manufacturer, according to figures collected from nearly 40,000 spindles.
By Lucas Mearian | 13 November, 2014 05:29
Seagate Technology today announced a new object-based storage hard disk drive -- the Seagate Kinetic HDD -- that gives each hard drive its own IP address.
By Lucas Mearian | 04 November, 2014 01:20
It's rare that a company would release internal data on drive failure rates -- even more so when that company, Backblaze, earns its living storing consumer data in the cloud. That makes the hard drive data released this week even more valuable.
By Lucas Mearian | 22 January, 2014 21:11
While resistive RAM's chances of crowding out NAND flash anytime soon are slim, the coming RAM wars mean mobile users are likely to have hundreds of gigabytes, or even a terabyte, of storage at their fingertips.
By Lucas Mearian | 08 August, 2013 22:07
Some popular new tablets come equipped with storage expansion slots; others do not. Which is better?
By Matt Hamblen | 30 July, 2013 13:56
If the question about tornadoes comes up at his Oklahoma City data center, as it sometimes does, Todd Currie, vice president of operations and general manager at Perimeter Technology, has answers. He even has cutout sample of his roof to show how it is built.
By Patrick Thibodeau | 31 May, 2013 10:08
Enterprise storage demands are reaching a critical point, and vendors are scrambling to develop new products to deal with the data deluge. We look at how these technologies will help manage the major pain points for storage administrators.
By Robert L. Scheier | 25 March, 2013 10:17
Whitepapers about Data storage
Read how VMware found infrastructure that could handle hundreds of thousands of low-latency IOPS to service over 2500 concurrent active virtual machines. · The infrastructure solution had to provision and deprovision labs with no impact on active students · Platform resiliency was crucial · With four all-flash arrays, results involved high levels of consistent and predictable IOPS performance under demanding workload conditions
In this White Paper, IDC offers up some quantifiable benefits that Asian enterprises have observed as a result of deploying backup and recovery solutions. · Many enterprises are finding that the backup and recovery processes and technologies that they have implemented have not kept pace with the demands of the business · IDC identifies how organizations can experience savings and improvements from the deployment of different types of technologies · The benefits fall into three categories: storage environment cost savings; end-user productivity enhancements; and IT staff productivity optimization
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- FTAcquisition Marketing ExceutiveNSW
- FTSearch/SEO/SEM/PPC - Multiple OpportunitiesNSW
- FTSearch/SEO/SEM/PPC - Multiple OpportunitiesVIC
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
Communications service providers face an array of complex challenges, from network growth and increasing security threats to technology transitions. In the face of these challenges, CSPs still need to plan for growth. Find out how
- China to open up Internet broadband market with upcoming trials
- Close shaves between aircraft and drones on the upswing
- Obama signs legislation allowing regulatory e-labels for smartphones, wearables
- Data retention inquiry to report in early 2015
- Aus government begins review of cyber security strategy
- Communications coalition urges national focus on broadband adoption
- Melbourne IT eyes social media market with Tiger Pistol
- Building a non-distributed big data computing solution on Amazon Web Services
- Pressure mounts in Europe for strict net neutrality
- Use Uber? Snapchat? Google Maps? Now Twitter knows
- Opera pitches all-you-can-eat app stores to mobile operators
- Apple-IBM products in November? Not quite
- Amazon's Fire sale: Phone is now just $199 unlocked
- PoS malware also targeting ticket vending machines and electronic kiosks
- Oracle, Oregon tussle over whether federal court should hear Cover Oregon case