environment - News, Features, and Slideshows
environment in pictures
The deadly explosion that rocked the Chinese city of Tianjin has caused the country to shut down a nearby supercomputer, also one of the fastest in the world.
By Michael Kan | 14 August, 2015 20:50
Drones that fly out to inspect powerlines -- and then recharge themselves by attaching to those same lines -- is among the ideas that could come to life thanks to a new research fund launched Tuesday.
By James Niccolai | 05 August, 2015 11:27
Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton last week spelled out her renewable energy policy plans: Have more than half a billion solar panels installed throughout the nation in her first term and generate enough renewable energy to power every home in America.
By Lucas Mearian | 04 August, 2015 01:34
IBM has developed a computer system that can learn about weather from thousands of data points and predict days -- even weeks -- in advance how much power from solar and wind farms will be available for the U.S. power grid.
By Lucas Mearian | 17 July, 2015 06:16
Renewable energy, combined with prolific battery storage, will soon result in vastly cheaper electricity -- and solar power that's less expensive than what fossil fuel-based power plants can produce.
By Lucas Mearian | 17 July, 2015 01:12
Tesla CEO Elon Musk is no stranger to risky but successful ventures. He's helped found companies such as PayPal and other leading edge tech firms, including an aerospace manufacturer to help colonize Mars.
By Lucas Mearian | 09 May, 2015 00:52
A new report warns that the cost from lost productivity at work related to the new NFL season could add up to US$10.5 billion. And there we were, thinking the biggest waste of time at work came from fielding an endless stream of IT industry reports?
By Network World staff | 16 September, 2008 09:53
IT has gotten a bad rap when it comes to energy consumption. Walk into any datacenter, and you can almost feel the carbon emissions leaking into the atmosphere. However, research shows that the datacenter actually accounts for a very small percentage of a company's overall energy usage. And businesses are missing the other significant opportunities where they could cut energy usages -- and costs. Ironically, the same IT department that is reducing energy usage in the datacenter could lead the energy-savings initiatives across the enterprise.
By Betsy Harter | 10 September, 2008 08:59
Whitepapers about environment
Challenges: - Legacy disk-based SAN performance plummeted with the addition of just 10 VDI users. - The management complexities of the legacy disk-based SAN did not allow for a "set-it-and-forget-it" operation, but the organization required simplicity. Results: - Currently supporting 250 virtual desktops, with more to be deployed - Reduced latency to sub-millisecond - Dramatically simplified storage management - Achieved 12-to-1 data reduction
Flash storage represents a quantum leap from the storage layer in terms of performance, however it is crucial companies understand their I/O profile in order to formulate a successful storage strategy. Find out in this eBook how flash storage can be beneficial for enterprises and useful questions to ask before making an informed decision on the purchase.
- FTSystems Engineer / Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-bAsia
- FTAxway API DeveloperNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (CISCO/SSLVPN/Firewall) 160211/SA/551Asia
- FTServer EngineerNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCDesktop Applications PackagerSA
- CCiOS Developer - New AppNSW
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCSecurity Consultant/Analyst (Data Loss Prevention)WA
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- FTFull Stack & Mobile EngineersNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/SA/881Asia
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Network EngineersACT
- CCSAP DS and BI SpecialistVIC
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- CCAndroid and iOS DevelopersVIC
- CCJira Administrator - Western SydneyNSW
- FTUX Front-End DeveloperWA
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- CCCisco Network EngineerNSW
This eBook provides a broad overview of micro-segmentation in the data centre. After reading this , you’ll have a good basic understanding of micro-segmentation — like you’d get from a college-level 101 class, but far more interesting than Microbiology 101 or Microeconomics 101 (and not as difficult either)!
- Upgrading to SAP Hana? This new tool can help prepare your code
- The eyes have it: How one startup aims to change the future of VR
- Gaming on Linux, Steam machines set to soar with DirectX competitor Vulkan
- Most enterprises plan to boost cloud use this year
- Google didn't abuse its position in Streetmap case, UK court rules
- GitHub apologizes for ignoring community concerns
- New Chromebook won't break with 365-pound person standing on it
- Nasdaq to use blockchain to record shareholder votes
- Pwn2Own contest puts $75,000 bounty on VMware Workstation bypass
- Intel SSDs may get speed, capacity boost with new Micron chips
- Five sue Apple over Error 53 and bricked iPhones
- AT&T to run field trials of 5G wireless in Austin this year
- Apple's iPhone sued for infringement of touch feedback patents
- Need data-science skills? Now your team can learn together
- Hackers of two Ukrainian utilities probably hit mining and railroad targets, too