games - News, Features, and Slideshows
games in pictures
Zoe Quinn, a game developer harassed by the Gamergate movement, has co-founded an organization aimed at combatting online abuse and helping victims.
By Fred O'Connor | 21 January, 2015 07:39
If you got a PlayStation 4 for Christmas but network outages spoiled your fun, Sony wants to make it up to you.
By Tim Hornyak | 02 January, 2015 14:37
Microsoft will stop selling the original Kinect for Windows in 2015 now that the second generation of the motion-based controller platform is available.
By Stephen Lawson | 01 January, 2015 09:24
After giving gamers false hope on Saturday, Sony now says its PlayStation Network has been fully restored after a Christmas Day attack that knocked it offline for about three days.
By Juan Carlos Perez | 29 December, 2014 02:02
The Android OS: It's on your phone (and maybe even your tablet PC), and it lets you run thousands and thousands of apps -- including games. But which phones are ideal for gaming? What kind of specs do you need to play the latest and greatest? Can you use a hardware keyboard? Read on if you're looking for answers (and good games).
By Chris Head | 14 August, 2010 00:20
The folks at the Open Camera Controller (OCC), a system that uses an older Nintendo DS handheld to provide more options to photographers seeking to get the most out of their DSLR cameras.
By Alessondra Springmann | 16 March, 2010 11:26
If you've ever gone to Apple's mobile app store and purchased games like High Noon, Gamebox1 or Doodletruck, then you've downloaded an app from the burgeoning Chinese software development community.
By Maria Korolov and Wang Fangqing | 22 August, 2011 20:39
For years, using voice recognition technology on phones or other devices has been a novelty -- something people try once but never again, usually because it works so poorly. But recent developments, including harnessing the computational power of the cloud, have made it more usable and will make it even better in the near future, according to Microsoft.
By Nancy Gohring | 14 December, 2010 06:43
Rumors suggest that Intel's forthcoming Sandy Bridge integrated CPU/graphics platform will find its way into the lower-end range of the next generation of MacBooks. Bearing in mind Apple's cozy relationship with Intel and its habit of adopting each new generation of Intel's processors, this would make a lot of sense.
By Keir Thomas | 11 December, 2010 09:28
Well, that was fast. Do-it-yourself electronics kit maker and hobby retailer Adafruit recently announced that a hacker had won the company's Open Kinect Bounty. Spain-based hacker Hector Martin Cantero, who is known online as "marcan," released a proof-of-concept video Wednesday night showing the Kinect interfacing with his Linux-based laptop.
By Ian Paul | 13 November, 2010 02:06
With EmblemHealth’s company headquarters flooded after Hurricane Sandy in 2012, this paper explains how a mobile laptop solution enabled displaced employees to work remotely and maintain productivity. • Hurricane Sandy’s surge swamped the building’s sublevels, where its mechanical and electrical systems reside, rendering it uninhabitable for three months • Employees who were working remotely could access the company’s intranet to get updates as needed • Corporate notebooks were also essential to mobile workers such as visiting nurses and health coaches
- Google defends policy that leaves most Android devices unpatched
- NIST pledges transparency in NSA dealings over crypto standards
- North Carolina could be next in Google Fiber roll-out
- Conference calls a waste of time? In 1915, this one made history
- Box rides high on Wall Street’s warm welcome
- China tightens Internet control by blocking VPN services
- NFL statement on New England Patriots Deflate-gate
- A Doomsday Clock reading guide
- Microsoft releases big update to Windows 10 preview
- U.S. to impose big tariffs on China and Taiwan for dumping solar panels on market
- US spy program has financial, security impacts, says Snowden
- NASA tests robotic helicopter that would act as Mars scout
- No worries! Asteroid to safely pass Earth on Monday
- Sony delays earnings report in wake of hack attack
- Microsoft to acquire R language powerhouse Revolution Analytics