Gartner - News, Features, and Slideshows
Gartner in pictures
Microsoft's Windows will become a third-place operating system by 2017, research firm Gartner said. By then, Apple's combination of iOS and OS X will have slipped by Windows on the number of devices shipped during the year.
By Gregg Keizer | 30 September, 2015 23:15
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com">Microsoft</a> has done a good job rolling out <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features">Windows 10</a> in the first two weeks, analysts said today, and the general vibe for Windows 8's replacement has been positive, even though glitches have dampened some enthusiasm.
By Gregg Keizer | 14 August, 2015 04:28
Next-generation endpoint protection vendor SentinelOne has received the same certification that many traditional antivirus platforms seek, meaning it can be considered suitable for meeting certain requirements of industry and governmental regulations.
By Tim Greene | 31 July, 2015 02:14
Motorola announced three new Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop) phones on Tuesday, including a high-end model that will be sold this fall in the U.S. as the Moto X Style Pure Edition, starting at the low price of $400 unlocked.
By Matt Hamblen | 29 July, 2015 02:43
Microsoft will provide feature and functionality updates and upgrades to Windows 10 for a full 10 years from the time the OS is purchased -- as part of a new device, for example -- an analyst briefed by the company said Tuesday.
By Gregg Keizer | 22 July, 2015 21:41
Microsoft's Windows 10 will not have a fragmentation problem, analysts argued, even though its rapid development tempo and a host of update cadences will spin off so many versions that not everyone will be running the same code, or even have the same features, at any one time.
By Gregg Keizer | 13 July, 2015 22:04
Cybersecurity firm <a href="http://www.fortinet.com/press_releases/2015/fortinet-announces-agreement-to-acquire-meru-networks.html">Fortinet's purchase last week of wireless network manufacturer Meru Networks</a> for $44 million is the second major acquisition of a Wi-Fi hardware vendor in three months and, potentially, the start of a broader pattern.
By Jon Gold | 05 June, 2015 06:14
Google is expected to reveal details about Android Pay at its annual I/O conference this week, even as Samsung readies its own separate mobile payment service.
By Matt Hamblen | 28 May, 2015 23:41
<em>This vendor-written tech primer has been edited by Network World to eliminate product promotion, but readers should note it will likely favor the submitter's approach.</em>
By By Craig Stewart, Senior Director of Product Management, SnapLogic | 01 April, 2015 06:37
Microsoft's strategic shift to creating apps and services for rival operating systems was born from the hard realization that Windows' share of the total device market was in the middle of a three-year slump, according to new forecasts Thursday by research firm Gartner.
By Gregg Keizer | 21 March, 2015 01:53
Whitepapers about Gartner
For the eighteenth consecutive year, Check Point has been positioned in the "Leaders" quadrant in the Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Network Firewalls1. Gartner evaluates each vendor’s Enterprise Network Firewall offerings on a scale of completeness of vision and ability to execute.
Unstructured data formats are much harder to search and analyse than databases or simple text. In this context, ‘big data’ is a challenge, not an advantage. This whitepaper looks at how you can apply a data-centric approach across diverse business areas and shows how, having cracked open the content of unstructured data, your organisation can develop processes and competencies that will reduce costs, improve efficiency and deliver new sources of business value.
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCWeb / Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
This paper examines enterprise-class snapshot technologies, discussing use cases for snapshots as well as classic challenges associated with using snapshot technologies in pure hard disk drive (HDD)–based arrays. It then looks at a snapshot implementation from EMC on its XtremIO all-flash array (AFA), exploring the advantages that flash media and a new design point can provide in the use of snapshot technology.
- Developers getting more help with heterogenous processors
- FBI takes down alert on chip credit cards after bankers complain
- Firefox to drop old-tech plug-ins by end of 2016
- Meet the virtual woman who may take your job
- Dismal PC business contraction continues; no bounce yet from Windows 10
- Juniper Networks looking to go private?
- Display Dock for new Lumias will cost $99
- 3 Takeaways from Amazon’s re:Invent cloud conference
- AWS re:Invent and VMworld: A tale of two conferences
- LogMeIn buying password manager LastPass
- Wi-Fi Alliance reaches for peace over unlicensed LTE
- 7 warnings to heed before a cloud migration
- Facebook splits React library across Web and mobile
- US will not seek legislation against encryption
- Apple removes apps from store that could spy on your data traffic