Gigi Sohn - News, Features, and Slideshows
A flood of Internet users and net neutrality advocates called on the U.S. Federal Communications Commission to enact strong net neutrality rules, with many participants in an agency-sponsored Twitter chat Tuesday advocating utility-style regulations for broadband providers.
By Grant Gross | 14 May, 2014 06:16
U.S. lawmakers opposed to a controversial copyright enforcement bill scheduled for a hearing Wednesday are working on alternative legislation that would be more narrowly focused on infringing websites, two opponents of the bill said.
By Grant Gross | 16 November, 2011 06:59
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission has voted to overhaul a decades-old system of telephone subsidies in rural areas, with the funding refocused on broadband deployment.
By Grant Gross | 28 October, 2011 05:47
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Software and Information Industry Association (SIIA) both applauded the signing of the controversial Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) by representatives of the U.S., Japan, and six other governments in Toyko on Saturday.
By Grant Gross | 04 October, 2011 06:12
The US presidential election result leaves President Barack Obama in the White House and maintains the balance of power in Congress. In many longstanding technology debates, policy experts see little movement forward, although lawmakers may look for compromises on a handful of issues.
By Grant Gross | 07 November, 2012 19:06
The following report, is based on a global survey of 706 IT and security professionals conducted in the United States, Canada, Germany, United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. The goal of the survey was to capture data on current attitudes and trends with mobile devices and IT security. This is the third survey on this topic and this report evaluates differences in responses to similar questions asked over the past two years.
Organizations across the globe are finding disaster recovery increasingly important for a number of reasons. This white paper explains how virtualization technology can solve the cost vs. time dilemma traditional data recovery solutions pose, enabling organizations to quickly and cost effectively recover all server workloads.
- Charter reportedly close to $55 billion deal for Time Warner Cable
- Attackers use email spam to infect point-of-sale terminals with new malware
- Large scale attack hijacks routers through users' browsers
- Sharp phone cameras play slow-motion video at 2,100 fps
- DHS data centre consolidation almost completed
- Amazon.com may be working on Etsy competitor
- BlackBerry cutting staff in smartphone unit
- In Pictures: The 8 things we’re looking for at Google I/O 2015
- In Pictures: Hot stuff - The coolest drones
- Hacked Adult Friend Finder database offered for $17,000
- Design thinking, agile development at heart of building control system
- CSIRO opens $6m metal 3D printing centre
- Telstra, Racing Victoria sign 10-year partnership
- Apple to wind back the clock to '09 with focus on quality, not features, in next OS X
- US Senate blocks NSA surveillance reform bill