Google Android - News, Features, and Slideshows
Google Android in pictures
Devices running Google's Android operating system have dethroned Apple's iPhones and iPads as the biggest drivers of worldwide mobile ad traffic, according to a new study from Opera Mediaworks.
By Jon Gold | 23 April, 2014 03:12
Smartphone ads, thus far, have tended to follow a few fairly standard blueprints – there's the high-concept ad, full of pretty pictures and pompous voice-over about "simplifying everything" or whatever the slogan du jour is. Then there's the hater ad, where the company indirectly but obviously makes fun of a chief competitor. And there's the shock-and-awe ad, where they just can't fully express to you how amazing the phone is.
By Jon Gold | 12 July, 2013 00:36
The latest major version of Android, known as Jelly Bean, is now the most widely used variant of the platform, according to new statistics from Google.
By Jon Gold | 09 July, 2013 21:20
Apple's iOS is closing the gap on rival Android in the US market, according to new statistics released today by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, which says that the three months that ended in May 2013 saw iOS' share of the American smartphone market grow by 3.5 per cent.
By Jon Gold | 08 July, 2013 17:13
Google's Android operating system is riding a wave of popularity that has rapidly eclipsed Apple's iOS, and by the end of 2010 it's expected to overtake RIM's BlackBerry as the world's leading smartphone platform. However, despite the relative openness and flexibility of the OS, your Android phone still isn't as powerful and customizable as it could be. To unlock all of your phone's potential, you'll need to root it.
By Robert Strohmeyer | 15 September, 2010 23:15
Are you using your smartphone to its fullest? Probably not--smartphone owners typically push their devices up to only about half their potential. Here are 14 smartphone apps to help your Android handset, BlackBerry, or iPhone become all that it can be.
By Ian Paul | 13 May, 2010 00:08
Google Android is a great platform for mobile communications, but it's also designed from the ground up to offer a rich multimedia experience. Your Android device is jam-packed with features that let you manage and play your digital music in a variety of ways.
By Robert Strohmeyer | 06 May, 2010 00:30
It's official, and it's been official for a while -- Android is far and away the most popular smartphone OS in America. Ever since January 2011, when the platform surpassed RIM to take the top spot for the first time in comScore's monthly market share rankings, Google's operating system has continued to grow its user base, which accounts for 52% of the market as of this January.
By Jon Gold | 02 April, 2013 11:16
Sick of waiting for the Jelly Bean update for your Galaxy S III? We show you how to update manually with an easy, five-step guide.
By Ross Catanzariti | 26 October, 2012 16:11
Don't like your smartphones big? Then look away now. Samsung's Galaxy Note is the definition of big: it has a whopping 5.3in touchscreen that's a full inch bigger than the company's own Galaxy S II, and almost two inches bigger than the iPhone 4S.
By Ross Catanzariti | 01 November, 2011 12:38
It's finally here. Google and Samsung have jointly unveiled the Samsung Galaxy Nexus Android phone, the first smartphone to run the latest 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" version of Google's Android operating system. So, when can Aussies get their hands on it?
By Ross Catanzariti | 20 October, 2011 10:42
Flash storage represents a quantum leap from the storage layer in terms of performance, however it is crucial companies understand their I/O profile in order to formulate a successful storage strategy. Find out in this eBook how flash storage can be beneficial for enterprises and useful questions to ask before making an informed decision on the purchase.
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Reports/JAVA/SQL) 160129/P/vhs-cAsia
- CCImmediate iOS Developer RequiredNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Biomedical - South Australia locationSA
- FTVB6 DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- FTLinux AdministratorVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer 160120/AP/vvtAsia
- CC.NET DeveloperACT
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCDesktop Applications PackagerSA
- CCDesktop Support Engineer/Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC
- FTTechnical WriterNSW
- CCService Desk ManagerVIC
- CCIBM ESB Developer (Junior to mid level role)NSW
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCICT Infrastructure Specialist - (Network Engineer)ACT
- CCAngularJS DeveloperNSW
- CCService ModellerNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Website/PHP development) 160122/SA/vmtAsia
- CCObjective ECMS Technical ConsultantSA
- CCInformation Security ManagerNSW
- CCEnterprise Systems Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
One of the biggest use cases for the cloud – in fact, the biggest, in the case of hosted private cloud – is for backup and disaster recovery. This white paper explores why the Cloud is well suited for Disaster Recovery and what organisations need to consider to ensure that Cloud DR is right for them.
- Stock-market jitters have rocked network spending, Cisco says
- SD-WAN: What it is and why you’ll use it one day
- Android root malware widespread in third-party app stores
- UCLA just open-sourced a powerful new image-detection algorithm
- SCO vs. IBM legal battle over Linux may – finally – be finished
- Microsoft adds conservative release 'ring' to Windows 10 beta program
- 6 things you should know about Twitter's timeline change
- Microsoft lets cautious users try more of Windows 10’s leading edge
- Bill filed in Congress would ban encryption backdoors
- Networking company name change madness is upon us
- Browser maker Opera's board urges sale to Chinese collective for $1.2B
- A new IoT gateway design could be Bluetooth's ticket to the cloud
- LG's G5 smartphone to have 'always on' ability
- Data science achieves the ultimate ROI: A craft beer
- SAP slaps patch on leaky factory software