hotspot - News, Features, and Slideshows
Using non-secured public Wi-Fi hotspots can leave you vulnerable to identity theft, data theft, snooping, impersonation and malware infection. That's why so many people rely on public virtual private network services, but VPNs are no panacea. Here are five potential gotchas.
By Sohail Ahmad, independent Wi-Fi consultant | 31 October, 2012 14:48
In 2008, the number of commercial aircraft that offered in-flight Wi-Fi service totaled just 25, according to market researcher In-Stat. By the end of 2010, however, In-Stat predicts that number should reach 2,000 planes.
By Thomas Wailgum | 19 October, 2010 04:55
There's been an explosion in growth of Wi-Fi hotspots during the last several years. Best-guess estimates range from 33,000 WLAN hotspots worldwide to more than 250,000 at present.
By Thomas Wailgum | 21 August, 2008 11:54
If you’re looking for your first ERP system or looking to upgrade from an existing system, the evaluation, selection and implementation process is a long-term strategic decision for your organization. To help you through this process, here are eight simple steps for a successful ERP system selection.
Communications service providers (CSPs) are struggling with an explosion of data traffic resulting from increased mobile usage, streaming video, resource-intensive over-thetop (OTT) applications, and smart device proliferation. At the same time, CSPs must deploy new network technologies and services to stay competitive and satisfy customers.
- Samsung, Apple still dominate smartphones, but their shares slip
- Ford and GM sued for millions over CD-ripping tech in cars
- Twitter more than doubles its sales, stock soars
- BlackBerry focuses on security for the enterprise
- Chinese officials seize Microsoft PCs, emails, financial info in antitrust probe
- Oracle hits back at ex-employee's claims over in-memory database option
- Homeland Security wants corporate board of directors more involved in cyber-security
- BlackBerry buying German firm for voice encryption
- NASA breakthrough improves 3D printing in space
- Secrets to CIO Longevity
- Uber, Airbnb go after businesses
- Guns, vandals and thieves: Data shows US networks under attack
- As IoT changes how carriers make money, Ericsson is buying new smarts
- Google, Linaro develop custom Android edition for Project Ara
- Senator pushes new version of bill to limit NSA phone records collection