hotspot - News, Features, and Slideshows
Using non-secured public Wi-Fi hotspots can leave you vulnerable to identity theft, data theft, snooping, impersonation and malware infection. That's why so many people rely on public virtual private network services, but VPNs are no panacea. Here are five potential gotchas.
By Sohail Ahmad, independent Wi-Fi consultant | 31 October, 2012 14:48
In 2008, the number of commercial aircraft that offered in-flight Wi-Fi service totaled just 25, according to market researcher In-Stat. By the end of 2010, however, In-Stat predicts that number should reach 2,000 planes.
By Thomas Wailgum | 19 October, 2010 04:55
There's been an explosion in growth of Wi-Fi hotspots during the last several years. Best-guess estimates range from 33,000 WLAN hotspots worldwide to more than 250,000 at present.
By Thomas Wailgum | 21 August, 2008 11:54
This whitepaper looks into one of Australia’s largest engineering, contracting and service organisations and why they have chosen to adopt VDI, their goals and achievements since implementation. •Provides advice to technology leaders considering their own workplace strategy and/or evaluating VDI •Major benefits found in cost management through the centralisation of infrastructure •Productivity and employee engagement increased through more efficient mobilisation of over 20 processes
- Google defends policy that leaves most Android devices unpatched
- NIST pledges transparency in NSA dealings over crypto standards
- North Carolina could be next in Google Fiber roll-out
- Conference calls a waste of time? In 1915, this one made history
- Box rides high on Wall Street’s warm welcome
- China tightens Internet control by blocking VPN services
- NFL statement on New England Patriots Deflate-gate
- A Doomsday Clock reading guide
- Microsoft releases big update to Windows 10 preview
- U.S. to impose big tariffs on China and Taiwan for dumping solar panels on market
- US spy program has financial, security impacts, says Snowden
- NASA tests robotic helicopter that would act as Mars scout
- No worries! Asteroid to safely pass Earth on Monday
- Sony delays earnings report in wake of hack attack
- Microsoft to acquire R language powerhouse Revolution Analytics