IBM - News, Features, and Slideshows
IBM in pictures
Research firm Gartner's annual report card on the public IaaS Cloud computing market shows there is one clear leader Amazon Web Services and another clear challenger Microsoft Azure. And then there is everyone else.
By Brandon Butler | 21 May, 2015 04:39
What began as an experiment in consumer electronics in the early 1990s celebrates its 20th anniversary as a staple of enterprise computing this week. Java has become a dominant platform, able to run wherever the Java Virtual Machine is supported, forging ahead despite the rise of rival languages and recent tribulations with security.
By Paul Krill | 19 May, 2015 00:47
Several new Docker tools are out there: Docker Machine, Docker Swarm, and Docker Compose. They come from Docker Inc. itself, which has has the advantage of being designed by the same folks who developed the Docker container.
By David Linthicum | 03 March, 2015 22:07
IBM tries to keep its layoffs out of the public eye as much as possible, although it fails miserably at this. The company took the unusual step of denying that it was on the cusp of a gigantic layoff amid reports of a possible new round of job cuts that may begin this week.
By Patrick Thibodeau | 28 January, 2015 23:24
IT infrastructure is constantly riding the often-tumultuous waves of consolidation and separation. A typical example would be the eras of mainframe, open systems, and PC computing. No surprise there. For the past three to five years, server virtualization has been a catalyst for data center consolidation, (even though for the most part, IT has mapped server virtualization initiatives to existing IT infrastructure choices, or dare I say legacy infrastructure).
By Mark Bowker | 13 January, 2015 03:55
Network World's analysis of publicly listed sponsors of 36 prominent open-source non-profits and foundations reveals that the lion's share of financial support for open-source groups comes from a familiar set of names.
By Jon Gold | 10 January, 2015 02:05
Whitepapers about IBM
IBM commissioned Forrester Consulting to conduct a Total Economic Impact™ (TEI) study and examine the potential return on investment (ROI) enterprises may realise by deploying IBM MQ (previously named IBM WebSphereMQ). Drawing its findings from in-depths interviews to create a composite organisation, this Forrester whitepaper from IBM outlines the benefits and costs of deploying IBM’s MQ solution across the enterprise.
The following report, is based on a global survey of 706 IT and security professionals conducted in the United States, Canada, Germany, United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. The goal of the survey was to capture data on current attitudes and trends with mobile devices and IT security. This is the third survey on this topic and this report evaluates differences in responses to similar questions asked over the past two years.
Communications service providers face an array of complex challenges, from network growth and increasing security threats to technology transitions. In the face of these challenges, CSPs still need to plan for growth. Find out how
- Wearables to hit stride in enterprises from 2017: Frost & Sullivan
- Compliance with PCI DSS standards needs improvement: Dell
- IPv4 address exhaustion approaches in US
- ING Direct unveils Apple Watch app
- Woodside engineers to use IBM's Watson platform
- Technology One records half year revenue of $90m
- Charter reportedly close to US$55 billion deal for Time Warner Cable
- Attackers use email spam to infect point-of-sale terminals with new malware
- Large scale attack hijacks routers through users' browsers
- Sharp phone cameras play slow-motion video at 2,100 fps
- DHS data centre consolidation almost completed
- Amazon.com may be working on Etsy competitor
- BlackBerry cutting staff in smartphone unit
- In Pictures: The 8 things we’re looking for at Google I/O 2015
- In Pictures: Hot stuff - The coolest drones