infrastructure management - News, Features, and Slideshows
What man breaks, man can fix ... at least, that's what we like to think. Consider, for example, bees. Bees of all species are dying off in the US and Europe and over the last few years we've seen the commercial beekeeping industry decimated by a syndrome called colony collapse disorder (CCD).
By Mark Gibbs | 29 July, 2014 22:33
This column is available in a weekly newsletter called IT Best Practices. Click here to subscribe.
By Linda Musthaler | 19 July, 2014 00:56
The White House plan to cut carbon dioxide pollution by 30% seeks to meet its goals, in part, through efficiency improvements. This could put further pressure on data centers to improve efficiency, many of which are powering servers that are doing very little work or none at all.
By Patrick Thibodeau | 03 June, 2014 21:20
Rich Narasaki is global manager, digital marketing in the GE corporate global brand marketing group and, as such, works with and supports the digital strategy efforts of the company's eight primary business divisions. While not a member of the IT team, Narasaki works with IT and marketing constantly, so Network World Editor in Chief John Dix tracked him down to get his perspective on how digital strategy plays out in such a huge operation.
By John Dix | 22 May, 2014 02:26
Software development teams and operations/system administrators have historically pushed each other in opposing yet complementary directions. While development teams focus on delivering new features to end users, operations personnel generally focus on software deployment, minimizing liabilities and risks, and optimizing performance and reliability. The natural friction between the two groups can create a productive balance, but oftentimes it causes obstacles, resentment and a loss of revenue.
By Sumit Mehrotra, Director of Products at Skytap | 14 May, 2014 05:23
As someone who spent billions with HP over 20 years while in IT leadership roles at Boeing and Verizon Wireless, John Hinshaw knew the big hardware, software and services company from the outside as well as anyone. In the year-and-a-half since becoming executive vice-president of technology and operations at HP, he's been putting that knowledge to use on the inside.
By Bob Brown | 23 April, 2013 15:06
Tech vendors have been as bombastic as ever promoting the magical and amazing things their latest smartphones, cloud computing wares and network gear can do. When things go wrong, they're naturally a little less visible, but plenty of companies have sucked it up and done the right thing this year (perhaps with a little legal prodding here and there) and publicly apologized for minor and major customers inconveniences.
By Bob Brown | 08 November, 2012 20:53
Whitepapers about infrastructure management
IT infrastructure is the backbone of today's modern business. It enables rapid expansion into new, fast-growing markets. It is at the core of new customer services offerings such as mobile commerce. It is the key to successfully exploiting an explosion in data and data analytics within business processes.
If you’re looking for your first ERP system or looking to upgrade from an existing system, the evaluation, selection and implementation process is a long-term strategic decision for your organization. To help you through this process, here are eight simple steps for a successful ERP system selection.
"The F5 firewall came up aces, maxing out network capacity while also offering sophisticated filtering and attack protection capabilities" slide. Read this network World performance test
- As IoT changes how carriers make money, Ericsson is buying new smarts
- Google, Linaro develop custom Android edition for Project Ara
- Senator pushes new version of bill to limit NSA phone records collection
- Audi tests driverless car on Florida expressway
- Canada blames China for cyber intrusion at National Research Council
- Majority of large ISPs now using monthly data caps, GAO says
- Microsoft, IBM make cloud gains against Amazon
- Amazon Fire teardown pegs parts cost just below 32GB iPhone 5S
- Android vulnerability allows malware to compromise most devices and apps
- Oracle slashes Larry Ellison's stock options following shareholder discontent
- Apple unveils minor bumps to MacBook Pro laptops
- Cisco ready to ship ACI controller
- RoboBees to Save US Agriculture
- Microsoft faces anti-monopoly probe in China over Windows, Office
- Feds arrest Florida man who allegedly conned Apple out of $309K