LAN & WAN - News, Features, and Slideshows
The average U.S. Internet connection speed continues to lag behind that of many other developed nations, according to the latest State of the Internet report from CDN and cloud service provider Akamai.
By Jon Gold | 07 August, 2015 00:51
A Boston-area hosting provider briefly knocked several large services and websites dependent on Amazon and AWS offline on Tuesday night, thanks to a configuration error.
By Jon Gold | 03 July, 2015 00:47
Americans with historically lower rates of Internet access are making progress in getting online, but there are still persistent disparities between rich and poor, and between English-speaking Asians and other ethnicities, according to data from the Pew Research Center released today.
By Jon Gold | 30 June, 2015 00:28
Two trains made of fiber, copper and code are on a collision course, as the widespread popularity of Android devices and the general move to IPv6 has put some businesses in a tough position, thanks to Android's lack of support for a central component in the newer standard.
By Jon Gold | 24 June, 2015 01:33
The annual American Customer Satisfaction Index for 2015 placed Comcast and Time-Warner Cable near the very bottom of all telecom and technology companies in the rankings, the researchers involved announced Tuesday.
By Jon Gold | 03 June, 2015 23:56
When discussing the ongoing revitalization efforts in Detroit, it's hard to miss the name Dan Gilbert. The founder of Quicken Loans, owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers, and a Detroit native himself, Gilbert's investment firms have funded dozens of tech startups in the city and turned its defunct old buildings into shiny new workspaces that look like Silicon Valley transplants.
By Colin Neagle | 30 June, 2015 00:50
We've been hearing about the impending depletion of IPv4 addresses for years, but that day is finally upon us -- the free supply of IPv4 numbers in North America will be completely gone within a month or two.
By Marc Lindsey, Janine Goodman | 28 May, 2015 04:35
<a href="http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/19/google-spacex-internet-plans/?ncid=rss_truncated">SpaceX</a>, Facebook, <a href="http://www.networkworld.com/article/2871304/security0/virgin-galactic-wants-to-launch-2-400-comm-satellites-to-offer-ubiquitous-broadband.html">Virgin Galactic</a> and Google have all announced major initiatives that would help connect the world -- especially developing nations -- to the Internet. But the next thing in worldwide connectivity isn't going to be in underground cables, so much as it will be over your head. It starts with satellites, but it gets a lot weirder.
By Matt Weinberger | 06 February, 2015 04:21
SIP roll-out has picked and, by 2019, SIP worldwide traffic could be more than double today's volume. While 30% of worldwide network traffic today moves with the use of SIP, in 2019 76% of outbound call traffic will be SIP.
By Eastern Management Group | 30 June, 2014 23:04
Flash storage represents a quantum leap from the storage layer in terms of performance, however it is crucial companies understand their I/O profile in order to formulate a successful storage strategy. Find out in this eBook how flash storage can be beneficial for enterprises and useful questions to ask before making an informed decision on the purchase.
- CCEnterprise Architect - Network & InfrastructureNSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- FTIT Support AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-bAsia
- CCLync/Skype EngineerNSW
- FTJava Full Stack Developer - MelbourneVIC
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | Northern BeachesNSW
- CCDesktop Support L1, 2 & 3NSW
- CCDesktop Applications PackagerSA
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/Mobile App) 160115/JP/vhaAsia
- CCCisco Network EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Crystal Report) 160115/AP/vhsAsia
- CCJava Developer - IOSNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (SQL/.net) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCIT Hadoop DevelopersQLD
- FTFull Stack & Mobile EngineersNSW
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- CCIT Security EngineerNSW
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- CCTest AnalystACT
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- CCMVC .Net Developer- Hurstville NSW 2220NSW
- FTIT Security Governance ManagerNSW
- CCImmediate iOS Developer RequiredNSW
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
Organisations are struggling with a torrent of data thanks to cloud computing, mobility and the Internet of Things. And conventional backup and recovery methods are failing. This white paper outlines the benefits of a modern approach to disaster recovery.
- Modular cellphone kit can be used for IoT and wearables
- Dragula looks to take the bite out of drag-and-drop
- Mozilla sets kill date for Firefox OS on phones
- LTE-U’s cold war may be thawing, as field testing commences ahead of summit
- Now that AI has mastered 'Go,' are all our jobs next?
- Make a $40 Linux or Android PC with new Raspberry Pi 2 rival
- Researcher finds serious flaw in Chromium-based Avast SafeZone browser
- Fed up with bogus computer support calls, man turns tables on scammers
- Dridex banking malware mysteriously hijacked to distribute antivirus program
- SamsaraJS: Famo.us fork juices mobile Web UIs
- UN panel backs WikiLeaks' Julian Assange, but he may not go free
- The Neutrino exploit kit has a new way to detect security researchers
- 7 smartphone trends to watch this year
- What businesses need to know about Privacy Shield
- Box makes it easier for businesses to control encryption of cloud data