LAN & WAN - News, Features, and Slideshows
A group of 38 mayors and other elected officials from cities like Boston, Seattle, and Kansas City Thursday urged the FCC to strike down state laws that restrict the development of public high-speed Internet services and allow municipal networks to flourish.
By Jon Gold | 30 January, 2015 05:37
"TOO SLOW!" "It takes me over 5 minutes just to log in!"
By Pat Simes | 27 January, 2015 05:29
In my organization we manage almost all IT in-house, including the LAN, which is highly redundant. We have 35 Floor Wiring Concentrators around campus, each with around 300 active ports, and the concentrators have dual Gigabit uplinks to network cores in two data centers that are 300 meters apart. The data centers are linked by multiple 10Gb links, and each is connected to the Internet via two trunks that follow different paths.
The NBASE-T Alliance -- a recently formed umbrella group of networking industry players dedicated to keeping standard Ethernet cabling relevant -- announced a dozen new members on Monday, including big names such as Intel, Qualcomm and Brocade.
By Jon Gold | 16 December, 2014 23:20
Riverbed Technology is the latest major tech company to bow out of public trading, announcing a US$3.6 billion takeover by private equity firm Thoma Bravo on Monday. The price is the highest ever paid by Thoma Bravo, and works out to $21 for each share of Riverbed currently in circulation.
By Jon Gold | 16 December, 2014 06:28
SIP roll-out has picked and, by 2019, SIP worldwide traffic could be more than double today's volume. While 30% of worldwide network traffic today moves with the use of SIP, in 2019 76% of outbound call traffic will be SIP.
By Eastern Management Group | 30 June, 2014 23:04
One of the key challenges confronting potential users of software-defined networking is discerning the specific value of particular SDN controllers. Controllers, after all, play critical role as the key arbiter between network applications and network infrastructure.
By Ethan Banks | 02 December, 2013 13:54
Of those organizations that are able to detect attacks, more than 23% experienced 2 to 5 breaches or significant attacks in the past two years. Visibility holds the key to improved detection and response capabilities. Organizations need to understand their environment and what constitutes normal and abnormal behavior, train staff on how to use analytic tools and define the data they need to collect.
- Marriott CIO: FCC message on WiFi blocking loud and clear
- Microsoft to business: Don't worry about Windows 10, consumers will test it
- Google Now adds data from Lyft, Airbnb and many more apps
- Outlook app for Android and iOS boosts Microsoft's mobile comeback
- MIT randomizes tasks to speed massive multicore processors
- NEC aims at Big Data 'sweet spot' with new SAP Hana tool
- Uber will fight to keep its Boston ride data private
- Verizon to allow opt-out from mobile 'supercookies'
- Brief: Tesla boosts 0-60 acceleration with over-the-air software upgrade
- AT&T will pay $18.2B as top bidder in mobile spectrum auction
- BMW cars found vulnerable in Connected Drive hack
- Twitter's Vine Kids app is not just for kids
- Apple puts the big hurt on Samsung
- Google Glass holds promise but requires a 'reset'
- Microsoft updates cloud-based SQL Server to simplify management