Linux - News, Features, and Slideshows
- Need desktop access over the Web? Try some Guacamole
- CEBIT: Cisco develops VPN client for PCs, smartphones
- Linux certifications: Hot or not?
- 7 free security tools for Linux
Linux in pictures
With an eye toward deepening the global Linux talent pool, the Linux Foundation today announced that it will offer two new certifications for engineers and administrators.
By Jon Gold | 20 August, 2014 23:26
The German city of Munich, long one of the open-source community's poster children for the institutional adoption of Linux, is close to performing a major about-face and returning to Microsoft products.
By Jon Gold | 19 August, 2014 08:00
Reformatting and restoring a PC is not fun--in the way spending 2 hours in the dentist's chair is not fun. You have to back up all your data (and pray that you haven't forgotten anything), reformat the hard drive, install Windows, track down missing drivers, find and reload all your software, restore your data, and pull out clumps of hair over the things you inevitably neglected to save. (Firefox plug-ins, anyone?)
By Rick Broida | 05 February, 2011 01:51
With all the many compelling reasons for a company to switch to Linux on the desktop, it's no wonder that businesses large and small are increasingly relying on the free and open source operating system.
By Katherine Noyes | 27 January, 2011 06:52
There are many ways that vendors of proprietary products try to scare business customers away from open source software, and one of the more commonly heard examples involves vague fears about compliance with open source licenses. There's nothing like the specter of a good lawsuit to scare a company back into a paid vendor's welcoming arms.
By Katherine Noyes | 05 November, 2010 10:49
Mark Shuttleworth's recent closure of Ubuntu Linux bug No. 1 ("Microsoft has a majority market share") placed a meaningful, if somewhat controversial, exclamation point on how far Linux has come since Linus Torvalds rolled out the first version of the OS in 1991 as a pet project.
By Serdar Yegulalp | 15 July, 2013 14:11
Getting ready to review a Linux distribution is usually pretty straightforward. After some background research into the distribution's history, you download the latest ISO and beseech the head of IT to lend you a netbook or scrounge up some moth-infested, aging desktop PC.
By Rohan Pearce | 10 May, 2011 15:30
The Motorola Xoom was the most advanced tablet that we got to try out at Mobile World Congress. Other tablets, including the HTC Flyer, certainly look promising, but the Xoom is the launch device for the Google Android Honeycomb OS - the version of Android developed specifically for tablets - and the devices on show at MWC were fully working ones used for live demonstrations.
By Rosemary Hattersley | 20 February, 2011 02:59
Motorola announced the Atrix smartphone at the Consumer Electronics Show, and while many have been concentrating on its 4G connectivity and clever desktop dock that lets it run a cut-down Linux desktop on a full-sized monitor, nearly everybody has missed something very important.
By Keir Thomas | 08 January, 2011 08:07
BIG-IQ Security makes it easy to manage the entire firewall policy life cycle. Read about the key benefits and download the policy auditing and security compliance report today
- CCL2 Technical Support Engineer - RightFax/MessagingVIC
- FTDigital Account Manager X 3 | Display + Video advertisingNSW
- FTCampaign Managers| RTB / Programmatic | Expression of InterestNSW
- FTMedia Planner Buyer - Media Trader OpportunitiesNSW
- FTSenior Media TraderNSW
- FTCampaign Managers | RTB | Display + Video | Trading desk |SydneyNSW
- FTSearch Account ManagerNSW
Rackspace Hosting, the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing, wanted to offer its customers an easy way to link dedicated managed servers to cloudbased servers. The company used Application Delivery Networking devices from F5 to help build a hybrid service called RackConnect.
- Sprint, Windstream traffic routing errors hijacked other ISPs
- Oracle to acquire content storage management company Front Porch Digital
- NBN Co's Morrow promises 'aggressive' push to connect homes
- IT vendor partnership helps drive Aussie solar car team
- In brief: Thiess announces NBN contract win
- In Pictures: 10 ways Apple really has changed the (tech) world
- In Pictures: Rotten Apple - Apple's 11 biggest failures
- In Pictures: The many looks of the Apple Watch
- Want lithium-ion batteries to last? Slow charging may not be the answer
- eBay scalpers hawk iPhone 6 Plus at prices up to $6K
- Does Apple have a breakout product in its smartwatch?
- What Apple knows about smartwatches that Google doesn't
- Uber, competitors face regulatory battles in US
- HP unit pleads guilty to bribing Russian officials
- Harvard team develops soft robot that stands up and walks on its own