Network management - News, Features, and Slideshows
Network management in pictures
This column is available in a weekly newsletter called IT Best Practices. Click here to subscribe.
By Linda Musthaler | 19 July, 2014 00:56
SevOne, a manufacturer of network performance management hardware and software, announced today that it has integrated technology from its recent acquisition of RapidEngines into a new performance log appliance offering.
By Jon Gold | 17 June, 2014 01:37
Software development teams and operations/system administrators have historically pushed each other in opposing yet complementary directions. While development teams focus on delivering new features to end users, operations personnel generally focus on software deployment, minimizing liabilities and risks, and optimizing performance and reliability. The natural friction between the two groups can create a productive balance, but oftentimes it causes obstacles, resentment and a loss of revenue.
By Sumit Mehrotra, Director of Products at Skytap | 14 May, 2014 05:23
We're at an awkward stage as the age of network-streamed multimedia matures. Broadband and cell providers have only recently realized the public's enormous appetite for streaming video, VoIP, and the combination of both.
By Jon L. Jacobi | 10 December, 2010 02:33
Laptops used to be the only devices on the company's wireless network. But Wi-Fi has become a ubiquitous standard used by a host of devices -- including desktop PCs, laptops, netbooks, tablets, smartphones, printers, storage devices, and projectors.
By Logan G. Harbaugh | 27 October, 2011 08:27
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Server adds innovative features and a new low price tag, but cuts in services and the elimination of advanced GUI administration tools may force some enterprise departments to think twice about the role of Mac servers on their networks.
By John Rizzo | 25 July, 2011 23:40
Major Websites are to test Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) by participating in World IPv6 Day, scheduled for June 8. Google, Facebook, and Yahoo, among others, have agreed to ensure that IPv6 entrances to their sites will be available, along with any network infrastructure needed to receive IPv6 traffic.
By Keir Thomas | 13 January, 2011 09:55
In recent weeks WikiLeaks has been targeted by denial-of-service (DoS) attacks, had its hosting service shutdown, been bounced off of Amazon hosting, had its funding through PayPal, MasterCard and other sources shut down, and its leader arrested on sexual assault-related charges. The fact that WikiLeaks remains stubbornly and defiantly online holds some lessons for other sites when it comes to resilience and survivability.
By Tony Bradley | 09 December, 2010 07:29
Whitepapers about Network management
When IT organizations set up private cloud computing environments, it creates a new set of network monitoring challenges that traditional network management tools are unable to address. This white paper details how network management can go beyond just looking at the performance of individual nodes or components to providing holistic Business Service Monitoring (BSM) capabilities.
Many Asia-Pacific organisations lack or are hindered in their ability to integrate, analyse, and extract insights from multiple internal and external databases. When it comes to big data, Asia-Pacific organisations lag behind the U.S. and Europe in data warehouse, business intelligence, and analytics investments. But don’t expect that to last. Download to find out the big shifts in marketing strategies to improve behavioural targeting and personalisation.
- Red Hat aims at standardization with Linux for 64-bit ARM servers
- AMD's new 64-bit ARM board points way to x86 coexistence
- Antivirus products riddled with security flaws, researcher says
- Infor wins appeal of long-running patent lawsuit
- 'Right to be forgotten' ruling is unworkable and misguided, UK Lords say
- Microsoft's Windows Phone 8.1 update takes Cortana to China, UK, and three other countries
- Twitter acquires image search firm Madbits
- Amazon investing $2 billion more in India as online retail booms
- Free movie link delivers malware payload: report
- Amazon says $9.99 e-books will boost revenue, including for Hachette
- Attorney-General seeks public input on anti-piracy law changes
- iPhone gets first free app for encrypting voice calls
- Zero-day flaws found in Symantec's Endpoint Protection
- Ericsson to operate NBN wireless, manage satellite migration
- Countdown begins for switch from debit/credit card signature to PIN