operating systems - News, Features, and Slideshows
- Windows 10's launch was a bit bumpy, but people seem to like it
- Windows 10 launch draws a small group of Microsoft diehards in Boston
- On your mark, get set, update! Windows 10 is here
- Mozilla CEO blasts Microsoft over Windows 10 defaults
operating systems in pictures
Microsoft customers downloaded 14 million copies of the Windows 10 upgrade on the first day of availability, the company said today.
By Gregg Keizer | 01 August, 2015 04:48
Windows 10 had been installed on more than 14 million devices by Thursday evening, a small step toward the company's goal of an installed base of 1 billion.
By Tim Hornyak | 31 July, 2015 18:49
Mozilla CEO Chris Beard has blasted Microsoft in a pair of posts to the organization's blog, arguing that Windows 10's default browser settings are a "dramatic step backwards" for respecting user choice.
By Blair Hanley Frank | 31 July, 2015 08:33
Windows 10 may be a radical change from its predecessors, maybe even the last version of the OS, but for enterprises planning to migrate to the new operating system, it will be the same old, same old, analysts said today.
By Gregg Keizer | 31 July, 2015 06:17
Windows 10 has been available for a day, and people seem fairly happy with the new operating system so far.
By Blair Hanley Frank | 31 July, 2015 05:07
Windows 10 has been one of the most anticipated Windows releases in Microsoft history -- especially given the issues with Windows 8, the result of Microsoft's decision to build an operating system that works on both touch and non-touch systems.
By Preston Gralla | 31 July, 2015 20:35
This vendor-written tech primer has been edited by Network World to eliminate product promotion, but readers should note it will likely favor the submitter's approach.
By By John Abbett, Director of Advanced Technology Services, CentriLogic | 06 June, 2015 01:07
Want to see Windows 10's log of your I/O usage -- the Data Usage app in Settings -- by simply clicking or tapping on the Desktop? Enable or disable your microphone with two clicks? Turn off your webcam? Manage your Wi-Fi settings? It's easy.
By Woody Leonhard | 03 June, 2015 21:17
By February 2017, Microsoft should have Windows 10 on more than 440 million personal computers, according to a new analysis of user share data and upgrade tempo.
By Gregg Keizer | 24 July, 2015 20:58
The more consumers that Microsoft puts on its Office 365 subscription rolls, the less it makes from each customer, data the company disclosed Tuesday showed.
By Gregg Keizer | 23 July, 2015 00:00
Whitepapers about operating systems
In this enterprise buyers guide Computerworld provides a framework for assessing the suitability of tablet computers with different work styles and demands. The guide takes into account upgrade cycles, pricing and contract issues with telecommunications providers. It features a shopping checklist covering screen types, connectivity and hardware as well as a guide to application management. This is in addition to a full roundup of the major players including road maps for the most popular operating systems.
Cloud, big data and analytics, mobile, social, and IT security have impacted networking – bringing it almost to breaking point. This whitepaper looks at the future of networking to accommodate these evolving trends.
This whitepaper looks at how SDS can be a revolutionary solution in terms of its impact on IT operations and economics and how it organizations can implement new SDS programs in a measured, evolutionary manner.
- Lawmakers propose new visa for foreign tech entrepreneurs
- Microsoft bests Google in patent case appeal
- Yahoo picks up fashion commerce site Polyvore
- Mt. Gox CEO Karpeles arrested by Japanese police
- Facebook says Flash security woes could hurt its business
- IBM fattens patent portfolio in cloud tech
- Microsoft scores with free Windows 10 upgrade as downloads tally 10x Windows 8's first-day sales
- It's SysAdmin Day: Let us celebrate with coffee
- ISP argues net neutrality rules violate its right to block content
- Former Hacking Team developer reportedly in contact with a terrorist group
- Italian police shutter Dark Web marketplace
- Black Hat 2015: Cracking just about anything
- Android Studio focuses on C++ editing
- New Google Glass for businesses will reportedly attach to other eyewear
- Ad group urges FTC to reject right to be forgotten in US