privacy - News, Features, and Slideshows
Plans by smart thermostat maker Nest Labs to share some customer data with corporate parent Google means the search engine giant will be fending off privacy concerns as it expands into home automation.
By Jaikumar Vijayan | 27 June, 2014 04:58
With Europe's top court ordering Google to allow people to basically edit their online personal histories, some wonder what this will mean for finding the truth online.
By Sharon Gaudin | 15 May, 2014 06:23
The U.S. commercial drone industry is still struggling to get off the ground more than two years after President Obama signed into law a bill that permits the civilian use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) over the country's airspace.
By Jaikumar Vijayan | 18 April, 2014 21:36
As tech companies increasingly rely on analyzing and selling user data to boost revenue, trust is emerging as one of the defining issues of the year for the IT sector.
By Marc Ferranti | 06 March, 2014 22:06
A report Thursday by the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board calling the NSA's bulk phone records collection program illegal and mostly useless puts the Obama Administration in an awkward spot.
By Jaikumar Vijayan | 23 January, 2014 19:45
Retailers and banks must move quickly to figure out who should be responsible for better securing the payments system network or risk having Congress decide for them.
By Jaikumar Vijayan | 23 January, 2014 16:05
After six months of contentious debate over U.S. National Security Agency surveillance programs, prompted by leaks from former government contractor Edward Snowden, the third week in December may have marked a major turning point.
By Grant Gross | 20 December, 2013 16:11
Amazon's nascent plan to use unmanned drones to deliver packages to customers has already raised strong privacy concerns that could ultimately nip it in the bud.
By Jaikumar Vijayan | 06 December, 2013 11:42
Any effort to rein in the National Security Agency after its widespread spy activities were revealed in leaked documents must focus on more than simply limiting what personal data can be collected.
By Jaikumar Vijayan | 19 November, 2013 17:51
The government's insistence, in its dispute with Lavabit, that cloud service providers hand over their encryption keys when asked, has refocused attention on the issue of key ownership and management in the cloud.
By Jaikumar Vijayan | 15 November, 2013 11:41
There's no such thing as a free email service, at least not when it comes to Google, according to industry analysts.
By Sharon Gaudin | 15 August, 2013 20:52
Defcon founder Jeff Moss' request to government agencies asking them not to attend next month's annual Defcon hacker conference has evoked a mixed response from the security community.
By Jaikumar Vijayan | 12 July, 2013 10:16
Benefits based on Forrester Consulting Study “The Total Economic Impact of Converging SAP Landscapes on Vblock™ Systems”
Many organisations believe they can transform their IT operations by simply buying a new management tool. However, this is just the start. This whitepaper discusses the dynamics of a complete transformation: • Learn why IT management tools should be more than "plug & play" • The 5-step plan to implementing ITSM for the best results long-term • Understand why your approach should be more about the data and less about the tool itself
- Why Google wants to replace Gmail
- Wi-Fi Passpoint standard now knits together SF, San Jose, London
- Big Data Digest: Rise of the think-bots
- FCC pushes TV spectrum auction to 2016 after legal challenge
- Apple mum as Mac owners tussle with Yosemite over Wi-Fi problems
- Wireless price war's good for consumers, but challenges carriers
- Apple Pay tops Tim Cook's to-do list in China
- The ratings: Most net neutrality groups get poor grades for funding transparency
- Advocacy groups accused of obscuring corporate ties in net neutrality debate
- Secretive funding fuels ongoing net neutrality astroturfing controversy
- OS X Yosemite uptake climbs to 13% in first week
- Researcher works to make 3D-printed metals stronger, customizable
- Court shuts down alleged PC tech support scam
- New material could lead to longer-lasting batteries
- RiteAid blocks Apple Pay, Google Wallet