processors - News, Features, and Slideshows
processors in pictures
After more than a year of holding steady, memory prices could fall this year as competition heats up between DRAM makers and excess inventory floods the market.
By Agam Shah | 15 January, 2015 05:55
3D cameras, 4K graphics and biometric log-ins: that's what Intel's latest fifth-generation Core chips will bring to laptops that will start shipping this month. Laptops will also be thinner, faster and offer longer battery life.
By Agam Shah | 06 January, 2015 04:03
They waited for "one last thing" at Nvidia's press conference, but it never came.
By James Niccolai | 06 January, 2015 03:19
Laptop battery life and graphics will get a serious boost with Intel's new Core processors, reaching PCs this month following a long delay.
By Agam Shah | 06 January, 2015 02:04
QUESTION: My Windows 7 Home Premium computer has a quad-core processor and 4GB of RAM. I've not found any advantage to using four cores. How can I use the processor more effectively and allocate different processes to the individual cores?
By Chris Byers | 13 August, 2010 02:20
Overclocking refers to pushing your computer components harder and faster than the manufacturer designed them to go. The initial pitch is seductive: Buy a slower, lower-cost CPU; juice up the clock speed; and presto! You have a cheap, high-end processor.
By Loyd Case | 28 June, 2010 23:43
When you're shopping for a new PC, don't meekly settle for the default processor recommended by the configurator. Picking the right CPU is a personal decision that you shouldn't enter into lightly. And with so many options to choose from, you need to know what you're getting into when you settle on a chip for your system. We've rounded up eight of the leading processors on the market and put them through a battery of rigorous tests to help you shop with confidence.
By David Murphy | 23 June, 2010 00:06
It came out in 1974 and was the basis of the MITS Altair 8800, for which two guys named Bill Gates and Paul Allen wrote BASIC, and millions of people began to realize that they, too, could have their very own, personal, computer.
By Lamont Wood | 09 January, 2015 01:59
Intel's acquisition of mobile network assets from silicon vendor Mindspeed Technologies will give the chip giant what it needs to extend the Intel architecture throughout mobile operator networks, helping the carriers upgrade hardware and roll out new services more quickly, according to Intel.
By Stephen Lawson | 17 December, 2013 23:48
Apple's move to 64-bit with its A7 chip inside the iPhone 5S gives the company the flexibility to launch a new line of tablet-based devices to replace at least some Intel-driven Macs, analysts said today.
By Gregg Keizer | 17 September, 2013 17:59
A new acronym has been defined for the solutions that address this space: Application Aware Network Performance Management (AANPM). Gartner Group has now begun tracking this as a new sector, which they have termed Network Performance Monitoring and Diagnostics, and are developing a Magic Quadrant on the solutions available. This White Paper examines the need for AANPM and how it helps organisations to optimise the performance of business critical applications while speeding up network and application trouble-shooting and minimising downtime.
- Google defends policy that leaves most Android devices unpatched
- NIST pledges transparency in NSA dealings over crypto standards
- North Carolina could be next in Google Fiber roll-out
- Conference calls a waste of time? In 1915, this one made history
- Box rides high on Wall Street’s warm welcome
- China tightens Internet control by blocking VPN services
- NFL statement on New England Patriots Deflate-gate
- A Doomsday Clock reading guide
- Microsoft releases big update to Windows 10 preview
- U.S. to impose big tariffs on China and Taiwan for dumping solar panels on market
- US spy program has financial, security impacts, says Snowden
- NASA tests robotic helicopter that would act as Mars scout
- No worries! Asteroid to safely pass Earth on Monday
- Sony delays earnings report in wake of hack attack
- Microsoft to acquire R language powerhouse Revolution Analytics