social media - News, Features, and Slideshows
- Secret, an app for posting anonymously, lets users tap into Facebook
- Pew survey shows women bear brunt of online harassment
- Twitter weaves Fabric, but will developers be drawn in?
social media in pictures
Facebook is going old-school, with a stand-alone app for discussion boards aimed at letting users talk about shared interests without having to use their real names.
By Zach Miners | 24 October, 2014 05:48
To identity Twitter solely as a micro-blogging service could be to do it a disservice. The company wants to be much more to developers building mobile apps, and at its Flight conference on Wednesday it welcomed them in.
By Zach Miners | 23 October, 2014 11:27
Twitter is opening its nest to more mobile developers, with a new service for easier app sign-ins.
By Zach Miners | 23 October, 2014 06:02
As much as the Internet provides a place to connect, it's also a haven for trolls, bullies, cyberthieves and wackos. Recent incidents targeting women, including GamerGate and the iCloud nude photo leak, have brought some of the issues to the fore.
By Zach Miners | 23 October, 2014 00:47
Every major social network is a mixed bag of good qualities and bad. For example, the best quality of Twitter might be its limit on the length of tweets, which enables you to follow many people and organizations without getting bogged down in long-winded, complicated posts.
By Mike Elgan | 20 October, 2014 21:38
With Google's social network coming up on its third anniversary, industry analysts are wondering if the company is rethinking Google+ and where it goes from here.
By Sharon Gaudin | 21 June, 2014 06:28
With its acquisition of virtual reality gaming company Oculus VR , Facebook may have found a way to lure back younger users to the social network.
By Sharon Gaudin | 26 March, 2014 20:15
Facebook may be shelling out $19 billion in cash and stock for the messaging company WhatsApp to stanch the departure of younger users from the social network.
By Sharon Gaudin | 20 February, 2014 19:54
Whitepapers about social media
The CMO Council has partnered with SAP to bring you this report on how to map the operational gap in customer insight and experience, including detailed findings from a 32-question online audit of 245 senior marketing executives across 16 countries.
Benefits based on Forrester Consulting Study “The Total Economic Impact of Converging SAP Landscapes on Vblock™ Systems”
The 2014 Internet Security Threat Report highlights the developments in cyber-crime in the last year and provides an analysis in global threat activity. Highlights from the report are: • Hackers continuing to attack PCs, as well as mobile devices, security cameras, routers and more • The number of data breaches has risen 62% from 2013, identity breaches up 493% • Ransomware attacks rose 500% and have evolved into more vicious assaults
- Microsoft exec opens up about Research lab closure, layoffs
- Facebook and Yahoo prevent use of recycled email addresses to hijack accounts
- Facebook hopes to get people talking -- using whatever name -- with Rooms app
- Google teams with Oxford on artificial intelligence
- 5K Retina iMac supply tightens
- Amazon Web Services opens German location to ease privacy concerns
- Akamai sees record-setting spikes in size and volume of DDoS attacks
- Amazon launches German cloud region in nod to privacy concerns
- Researchers use silicon to push quantum computing toward reality
- Wearable health devices are a novelty that wear off
- German publishers capitulate and let Google post news snippets -- for now
- Abandoned subdomains pose security risk for businesses
- Vintage Apple-1 sells for a record $905K
- HP gives Moonshot server its first Xeon chip
- Australian ISP stands up to filmmakers hunting pirates