Wi-Fi - News, Features, and Slideshows
The big deal about 802.11ac, or "gigabit Wi-Fi," is the promise of much higher speeds for Wi-Fi clients compared to the maximums under 802.11n today. But 11ac is actually several big deals, including something called multiuser MIMO [my-moe], which is part of the "Wave 2" 11ac features expected later this year.
By John Cox | 07 July, 2014 22:55
Telstra could usher in Australia’s first major deployment of next-generation hotspots as part of its plan to blanket the country with a public Wi-Fi network.
By Adam Bender | 26 June, 2014 14:20
Vodafone Hutchison Australia could allow calling over Wi-Fi networks on iPhones as supported in iOS 8, the next Apple mobile operating system release.
By Adam Bender | 03 June, 2014 19:01
Could new data sharing plans announced by Optus and Telstra reignite what some analysts describe as waning interest in mobile broadband?
By Adam Bender | 02 June, 2014 13:16
The Australia Capital Territory (ACT) government and iiNet partnering to deploy more than 700 Cisco wireless access points that cover 12 business districts across the city in a $4 million project.
By Adam Bender & Byron Connolly | 29 May, 2014 11:52
Telstra has stressed that customers should have no security concerns about sharing their broadband connection with other users over Wi-Fi or – conversely -- accessing another customer’s shared connections as a hotspot.
By Adam Bender | 20 May, 2014 15:39
Telstra home and enterprise broadband users will be able to access 2 million Wi-Fi hotspots around Australia in five years if they agree to share their own connection, under part of a $100 million strategy announced today by Telstra CEO David Thodey.
By Adam Bender | 20 May, 2014 13:56
Many IT departments still treat Wi-Fi like a second-class infrastructure asset despite the cultural shift toward mobility. Perhaps the reluctance to embrace Wi-Fi with open arms is due to a lack of visibility.
By Eric Camulli, VP of Marketing for 7signal | 20 May, 2014 06:25
The possible announcement of a public Wi-Fi network by Telstra would “put a stiff cold breeze up the competition,” according to an IBRS analyst.
By Adam Bender | 19 May, 2014 14:05
In this Network World Digital Spotlight, "Harnessing Gigabit Wi-Fi," we do a deep dive on the latest Wi-Fi developments.
By John Dix | 17 April, 2014 05:05
Meru Networks has announced two new dual-stream, enterprise 802.11ac access points, including one designed to replace an Ethernet wall plate.
By John Cox | 05 April, 2014 00:12
If you’re looking for your first ERP system or looking to upgrade from an existing system, the evaluation, selection and implementation process is a long-term strategic decision for your organization. To help you through this process, here are eight simple steps for a successful ERP system selection.
Gamification is used to motivate employees, create healthy competition among teams, generate buzz or social proof, and encourage customer loyalty, among other benefits. This whitepaper lists the top 25 examples of gamification to help spark creativity, collaboration and efficiency.
- Sprint to resell Google Apps for Business cloud service
- What to expect in Facebook's earnings call today
- Google tried to buy music giant Spotify
- Pebble: Next-gen wearables will require new tech, also your personal data
- Low-cost Android tablets to get 4K video with Allwinner 64-bit chip
- Apple unwraps OS X Yosemite public beta Thursday
- Seagate wireless drive can now stream to Roku set-top box
- Is Sony's Walkman set to make a comeback?
- UK government adopts ODF for document exchange with citizens and suppliers
- Dutch spy agencies can receive NSA data, court rules
- Oracle ships nearly 60 mobile apps for JD Edwards
- BlackBerry offers BES10 as a hosted service through partners
- Mozilla ships Firefox 31, adds search to new tab page
- Japan Airlines hopes smartwatches for gate staff will fly
- File-encrypting Android ransomware 'Simplocker' targets English-speaking users