Wi-Fi - News, Features, and Slideshows
Smart parking, lighting and waste management could soon be coming to Canberra, according to the ACT government official leading the city’s digital city initiative.
By Adam Bender | 12 August, 2014 13:57
Brisbane-based system integrator Data#3 (ASX: DTL) has confirmed that it will acquire a 42.5 per cent shareholding in Wi-Fi analytics company Discovery Technology for $1.5 million.
By Computerworld Australia staff | 31 July, 2014 13:26
The big deal about 802.11ac, or "gigabit Wi-Fi," is the promise of much higher speeds for Wi-Fi clients compared to the maximums under 802.11n today. But 11ac is actually several big deals, including something called multiuser MIMO [my-moe], which is part of the "Wave 2" 11ac features expected later this year.
By John Cox | 07 July, 2014 22:55
Telstra could usher in Australia’s first major deployment of next-generation hotspots as part of its plan to blanket the country with a public Wi-Fi network.
By Adam Bender | 26 June, 2014 14:20
Vodafone Hutchison Australia could allow calling over Wi-Fi networks on iPhones as supported in iOS 8, the next Apple mobile operating system release.
By Adam Bender | 03 June, 2014 19:01
Could new data sharing plans announced by Optus and Telstra reignite what some analysts describe as waning interest in mobile broadband?
By Adam Bender | 02 June, 2014 13:16
The Australia Capital Territory (ACT) government and iiNet partnering to deploy more than 700 Cisco wireless access points that cover 12 business districts across the city in a $4 million project.
By Adam Bender & Byron Connolly | 29 May, 2014 11:52
Telstra has stressed that customers should have no security concerns about sharing their broadband connection with other users over Wi-Fi or – conversely -- accessing another customer’s shared connections as a hotspot.
By Adam Bender | 20 May, 2014 15:39
Telstra home and enterprise broadband users will be able to access 2 million Wi-Fi hotspots around Australia in five years if they agree to share their own connection, under part of a $100 million strategy announced today by Telstra CEO David Thodey.
By Adam Bender | 20 May, 2014 13:56
Many IT departments still treat Wi-Fi like a second-class infrastructure asset despite the cultural shift toward mobility. Perhaps the reluctance to embrace Wi-Fi with open arms is due to a lack of visibility.
By Eric Camulli, VP of Marketing for 7signal | 20 May, 2014 06:25
The possible announcement of a public Wi-Fi network by Telstra would “put a stiff cold breeze up the competition,” according to an IBRS analyst.
By Adam Bender | 19 May, 2014 14:05
In this Network World Digital Spotlight, "Harnessing Gigabit Wi-Fi," we do a deep dive on the latest Wi-Fi developments.
By John Dix | 17 April, 2014 05:05
Benefits based on Forrester Consulting Study “The Total Economic Impact of Converging SAP Landscapes on Vblock™ Systems”
The market for integrated systems is a key growth area for data centre hardware infrastructure. This report sizes the market and profiles early leaders in this important and emerging area. • The integrated systems market is growing, with revenue increasing 53.7% year on year. • Large enterprises are currently the key customers, while the small business segment is underserved. • There is significant opportunity for overall segment growth
- RiteAid blocks Apple Pay, Google Wallet
- Senator wants Whisper to explain how it tracks users, shares their data
- Apple hands 8 execs stock awards worth up to $27M
- Neural networks draw on context to improve machine translations
- Toshiba Chromebook 2 review: An attractive Chrome OS experience
- The 'Backoff' malware linked to data breaches is spreading
- China develops its first homegrown server amid cybersecurity concerns
- Automation arrives at restaurants (but don't blame rising minimum wages)
- Honda rolls out pedestrian detection for Legend sedan
- Cyberespionage group launches sophisticated phishing attacks against Outlook Web App users
- Microsoft to continue using Nokia brand on entry-level phones
- Usage alert compliance a priority as TCP code enforcement heads into year three
- Symantec donates $260k towards cyberbullying prevention
- Court delays NBN Co, Pipe Networks battle
- Adobe begins encrypting user data collected from Digital Editions app