Wi-Fi - News, Features, and Slideshows
Smart parking, lighting and waste management could soon be coming to Canberra, according to the ACT government official leading the city’s digital city initiative.
By Adam Bender | 12 August, 2014 13:57
Brisbane-based system integrator Data#3 (ASX: DTL) has confirmed that it will acquire a 42.5 per cent shareholding in Wi-Fi analytics company Discovery Technology for $1.5 million.
By Computerworld Australia staff | 31 July, 2014 13:26
The big deal about 802.11ac, or "gigabit Wi-Fi," is the promise of much higher speeds for Wi-Fi clients compared to the maximums under 802.11n today. But 11ac is actually several big deals, including something called multiuser MIMO [my-moe], which is part of the "Wave 2" 11ac features expected later this year.
By John Cox | 07 July, 2014 22:55
Telstra could usher in Australia’s first major deployment of next-generation hotspots as part of its plan to blanket the country with a public Wi-Fi network.
By Adam Bender | 26 June, 2014 14:20
Vodafone Hutchison Australia could allow calling over Wi-Fi networks on iPhones as supported in iOS 8, the next Apple mobile operating system release.
By Adam Bender | 03 June, 2014 19:01
Could new data sharing plans announced by Optus and Telstra reignite what some analysts describe as waning interest in mobile broadband?
By Adam Bender | 02 June, 2014 13:16
The Australia Capital Territory (ACT) government and iiNet partnering to deploy more than 700 Cisco wireless access points that cover 12 business districts across the city in a $4 million project.
By Adam Bender & Byron Connolly | 29 May, 2014 11:52
Telstra has stressed that customers should have no security concerns about sharing their broadband connection with other users over Wi-Fi or – conversely -- accessing another customer’s shared connections as a hotspot.
By Adam Bender | 20 May, 2014 15:39
Telstra home and enterprise broadband users will be able to access 2 million Wi-Fi hotspots around Australia in five years if they agree to share their own connection, under part of a $100 million strategy announced today by Telstra CEO David Thodey.
By Adam Bender | 20 May, 2014 13:56
Many IT departments still treat Wi-Fi like a second-class infrastructure asset despite the cultural shift toward mobility. Perhaps the reluctance to embrace Wi-Fi with open arms is due to a lack of visibility.
By Eric Camulli, VP of Marketing for 7signal | 20 May, 2014 06:25
The possible announcement of a public Wi-Fi network by Telstra would “put a stiff cold breeze up the competition,” according to an IBRS analyst.
By Adam Bender | 19 May, 2014 14:05
In this Network World Digital Spotlight, "Harnessing Gigabit Wi-Fi," we do a deep dive on the latest Wi-Fi developments.
By John Dix | 17 April, 2014 05:05
BIG-IQ Security makes it easy to manage the entire firewall policy life cycle. Read about the key benefits and download the policy auditing and security compliance report today
Existing IT operational models and an ageing infrastructure are CIOs back from their full potential. This paper reveals the three IT imperatives for a CIO-led transformation, and details how CIOs are adopting strategies to change IT and assert their organisations as business leaders and innovators.
- TasWater archives to deal with data deluge
- Telstra plans hook up to Equinix Australian data centres
- In Pictures: The wild world of workplace wearables
- In Pictures: Inside a thriving Shenzhen market for used iPhones
- In Pictures: NASA’s human space flight return
- VDSL2 standards for NBN to clean up interference
- TPG revenue soars, ISP releases FTTB plan details
- Crashing Apple's iOS 8 party
- Shanghai authorities ban government officials' use of iPhone
- Lenovo to cough up $100 refunds, $250 vouchers to settle IdeaPad suit
- Pertino adds management, tracking apps to its service
- Early iPhone 6 usage 8x higher than iPhone 6 Plus
- Ex-Cisco employee pleads guilty to second-degree murder in ‘Google Maps case'
- Ericsson acquires majority stake in Apcera for cloud policy compliance
- After harrowing 10-month trek, NASA's Maven orbits Mars