Wi-Fi - News, Features, and Slideshows
The City of Perth has launched the second phase of its free public Wi-Fi network, expanding service into Northbridge.
By Adam Bender | 01 December, 2014 13:45
Telstra has switched on the first 150 Wi-Fi hotspots of its $100 million plan to canvas Australia with a public wireless service.
By Adam Bender | 19 November, 2014 12:00
After trialling a Wi-Fi unit during the Queensland floods in 2013 to process insurance claims in a timely fashion, Cunningham Lindsey rolled out Wi-Fi access points to its 48 Australian offices.
By Hamish Barwick | 30 October, 2014 15:50
Smart parking, lighting and waste management could soon be coming to Canberra, according to the ACT government official leading the city’s digital city initiative.
By Adam Bender | 12 August, 2014 13:57
Brisbane-based system integrator Data#3 (ASX: DTL) has confirmed that it will acquire a 42.5 per cent shareholding in Wi-Fi analytics company Discovery Technology for $1.5 million.
By Computerworld Australia staff | 31 July, 2014 13:26
The big deal about 802.11ac, or "gigabit Wi-Fi," is the promise of much higher speeds for Wi-Fi clients compared to the maximums under 802.11n today. But 11ac is actually several big deals, including something called multiuser MIMO [my-moe], which is part of the "Wave 2" 11ac features expected later this year.
By John Cox | 07 July, 2014 22:55
Telstra could usher in Australia’s first major deployment of next-generation hotspots as part of its plan to blanket the country with a public Wi-Fi network.
By Adam Bender | 26 June, 2014 14:20
Vodafone Hutchison Australia could allow calling over Wi-Fi networks on iPhones as supported in iOS 8, the next Apple mobile operating system release.
By Adam Bender | 03 June, 2014 19:01
Could new data sharing plans announced by Optus and Telstra reignite what some analysts describe as waning interest in mobile broadband?
By Adam Bender | 02 June, 2014 13:16
The Australia Capital Territory (ACT) government and iiNet partnering to deploy more than 700 Cisco wireless access points that cover 12 business districts across the city in a $4 million project.
By Adam Bender & Byron Connolly | 29 May, 2014 11:52
Telstra has stressed that customers should have no security concerns about sharing their broadband connection with other users over Wi-Fi or – conversely -- accessing another customer’s shared connections as a hotspot.
By Adam Bender | 20 May, 2014 15:39
Telstra home and enterprise broadband users will be able to access 2 million Wi-Fi hotspots around Australia in five years if they agree to share their own connection, under part of a $100 million strategy announced today by Telstra CEO David Thodey.
By Adam Bender | 20 May, 2014 13:56
Developed by the CIO executive Council in conjunction with Rob Livingstone Advisory, Pathways Advanced is a 12-month CIO delivered, small group, mentor based professional leadership development program. Pathways Advanced brings together best practice, thought leadership and business insights for today’s most promising ICT professionals
- Enterprises: Get ready to pay to go slow on Windows 10
- Dropbox buys Pixelapse to add version control for visual designers
- Drone flights near White House test local restrictions
- Mass surveillance 'endangers fundamental human rights,' says study
- Cisco's evolving software, cloud strategy will hinge on hardware
- Developers begin work on LibreOffice for Android
- The Upload: Your tech news briefing for Tuesday, January 27
- Computer simulation eases real-world Chinese traffic jams
- Link between NSA and Regin cyberespionage malware becomes clearer
- How not to waste your money on the second wave of 802.11ac wireless gear
- China signals censors will continue to crack down on VPN services
- Facebook, Instagram temporarily down in many countries
- Quantum bringing public cloud into virtual storage fold
- Data retention: Journalists decry 'Stasi‐like surveillance state'
- DEA cameras tracking hundreds of millions of car journeys across the US