If you're an IT professional with experience building mobile or Cloud applications, it's a good time to be job hunting. That's because the number of job openings in these areas is up dramatically from last summer.
Leading IT job site Dice.com reports the following five areas as growing the most this year in terms of job openings:
- iPhone developers, which is up 106% from last summer. Dice.com lists 2,254 open jobs for iPhone and iPad developers and engineers at such companies as PayPal, eBay, ESPN, General Motors and Neiman Marcus.
- Cloud specialists, which are up 67% from last summer. Dice.com lists 3,794 positions that require cloud-related software, engineering and architecture skills including openings at Best Buy, Hitachi Data Systems, Ingram Micro, Sybase and Bloomberg.
- Android developers and software engineers, which are up 50% year-over-year. More than 2,100 Android-related jobs are listed on Dice.com's Web site, including positions at Blackboard, Trimble Navigation, Comcast, Tribune Co. and Bell Systems.
- Mobile developers, which is up 40% from last July. The more than 1,500 jobs listed on Dice.com that feature the word "mobile" include postings from Union Bank, Scotts MiracleGro, IDC Technologies, Nickelodeon Games Group and Teradata.
- Ruby on Rails developers, which are up 30% year-over-year. With more than 2,280 positions listed on Dice.com, this set of skills is in demand from such employers as Wellcare Health Plans, Harvey Nash, Compucom, Dell and Barnes & Noble.
Overall, Dice.com lists more than 84,000 jobs on any given day - a figure that's up just 3% from last summer.
"Mobile and cloud are the big categories right now," said Alice Hill, managing director of Dice.com. "Companies are looking to hire Android and IOS developers and the same thing with cloud. You also see jobs if you look at virtualization and roles around data architecture and software related to the cloud."
Also growing - but not as quickly - is the demand for network engineers and skills related to IPv6, the next-generation Internet Protocol. More than 1,900 network engineer jobs are posted on Dice.com, up 11% from last year. While only 199 jobs require IPv6-related experience, this category is up 19% from a year ago.
Read more about infrastructure management in Network World's Infrastructure Management section.