IT employees at the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority know they'll be recognized for a job well done, says Matt Cardillo, director of application development at the Rockville, Md.-based enforcement arm of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. "Success is taken seriously and it's well-rewarded," he says.
IT team members Babul Kamireddy, Sandhya Murthy, Charles Choi and Elena Shuvalov. Credit: FINRA.
Cardillo says IT workers have visibility into the department's projects, so people are always talking about them. When a project is completed, staffers congratulate one another as they pass in the hall. Teams also celebrate by getting together for activities like paintball, zip-lining and bowling.
Nanci Schimizzi, vice president of technology administration, says celebrating success is important throughout the organization. Milestones are marked with events such as cookouts, and FINRA ties its cash compensation to employees' performance, attainment of goals and application of core competencies.
In fact, when it comes to compensation, FINRA "is bar none, hands-down one of the best places I've seen," says Cardillo, who has worked at the organization for five years.
But compensation is just one of the positives, Cardillo stresses. He cites the IT department's increased focus on innovation, with new ideas encouraged and supported by higher-ups, and its support for collaboration, enabled by new applications and redesigned workspaces. "What keeps me here really comes down to working with the right people," he adds. "It's very engaging."
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
- View the full 2013 special report
- View and sort the top 100 employers
- In the No. 1 spot: Quicken Loans
- Slideshow: A tour of Quicken Loans
- Employer scorecard: Tops for training, benefits, more
- Employee scorecard: 27,000 IT workers have their say
- Search and sort 20 years of Best Places honorees
- Opinion: When staffers share successes, everyone wins
- Opinion: How to pluck top talent from a sea of candidates
- How we chose the Best Places
- Tell us about the worst place to work!
Read more about it careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.