The 15 most popular languages were:
- Python, with 1 million
- Java, with 985,000
- Ruby, with 870,000
- PHP, with 559,000
- C++, with 413,000
- CSS, with 335,000
- C#, with 326,000
- Go, with 285,000
- C, with 239,000
- TypeScript, with 207,000
- Shell, with 206,000
- Swift, with 107,000
- Scala, with 99,000
- Objective-C, with 66,000
GitHub also tallied the most-forked projects for the last 12 months:
- TensorFlow machine learning library, with 24,000 forks.
- Bootstrap web framework, with 15,000
- Gitignore file templates, with 10,800
- Jekyll-now blog software, with 10,700.
- TensorFlow models, with 8,300.
The most popular projects on GitHub based on the number of contributors were:
- Microsoft Visual Studio Code editor, with 15,000 contributors.
- Facebook React Native mobile apps framework, with 8,800
- TensorFlow, with 7,300
- Angular-CLI command line interface, with 7,400
GitHub said the site reached 24 million developers in 2017, working across 67 million repositories. The site is used in 200 countries, with North America accounting for 5.9 million accounts. The 100 millionth pull request on GitHub happened this year.