- 20 March 2019 09:32
Barracuda Intel Exposes the Latest Strategies Cybercriminals Are Using to Get Past Email Security Gateways
Best practices to defend against the three most prevalent types of spear phishing attacks
Barracuda, a trusted partner and leading provider for cloud-enabled security solutions, today released key findings from a report with the title Spear Phishing: Top Threats and Trends. Barracuda researchers evaluated more than 360,000 spear phishing emails in a three-month period, identifying and analysing three major types of attacks: brand impersonation, business email compromise and blackmail. Read the full report: https://www.barracuda.com/spear-phishing-report
The report takes an in-depth look at how these three types of attacks work, why traditional email security can’t stop them, the latest techniques scammers are using, and how organisations can protect against these attacks.
A closer look at evolving threats Barracuda’s research uncovered fresh insights into how these popular attacks are evolving and the tactics they are using to evade detection.
• Impersonating Microsoft is one of the more common techniques used by hackers trying to take over accounts.
• Financial institutions are impersonated in nearly 1 in 5 attacks. Finance department employees are heavily targeted, as they are most likely to deal with banks and other financial institutions.
• The majority of subject lines on sextortion emails contain some form of security alert.
• Attackers often include the victim’s email address or password in the subject line.
• Subject lines on more than 70 percent of business email compromise attack emails try to establish rapport or a sense of urgency; many imply the topic has been previously discussed.
• Scammers use name-spoofing techniques, changing the display name on Gmail and other email accounts to make the email appear to come from a company employee. This tactic can be especially deceiving to those reading the email on a mobile device.
“Spear phishing attacks are designed to evade traditional email security solutions, and the threat is constantly evolving as attackers find new ways to avoid detection and trick users,” said Asaf Cidon, VP, Content Security at Barracuda Networks. “Staying ahead of these types of attacks requires the right combination of technology and user training, so it’s critical to have a solution in place that detects and protects against spear-phishing attacks, including business email compromise, brand impersonation and sextortion.”
Barracuda Sentinel uses artificial intelligence and deep integration with Office 365 to detect spear phishing attacks and stop them before they reach your mail server. Total Email Protection takes that protection a step further, combining Barracuda Sentinel with Barracuda Essentials, Barracuda PhishLine and Barracuda Forensics and Incident Response for a complete email security, archiving, and data protection solution.
Download the full report: https://www.barracuda.com/spear-phishing-report
Read the blog post: http://cuda.co/35206
About Barracuda At Barracuda we strive to make the world a safer place. We believe every business deserves access to cloud-enabled, enterprise-grade security solutions that are easy to buy, deploy, and use. We protect email, networks, data and applications with innovative solutions that grow and adapt with our customers’ journey. More than 150,000 organisations worldwide trust Barracuda to protect them — in ways they may not even know they are at risk — so they can focus on taking their business to the next level. For more information, visit barracuda.com.
Barracuda Networks, Barracuda and the Barracuda Networks logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Barracuda Networks, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries.