- 9 May 2019 09:12
Cohesity Introduces Industry’s First Backup and Recovery for Popular Modern Workloads on One Web-Scale Platform
San Jose, Calif. – May 8, 2019 – Cohesity, the leader of hyperconverged secondary storage,today announced new enterprise-class backup, recovery, and data management capabilities for Hadoop big data workloads, NoSQL distributed databases, Kubernetes containerised applications, and popular software as a service (SaaS) environments. This is the first time all of these data sources can be protected and managed from a single web-scale platform, helping enterprises minimise data loss, achieve faster recovery times, and improve data security and compliance.
Hadoop big data workloads, NoSQL distributed databases, containers, and SaaS applications are now common components of the enterprise IT stack. But solutions that protect each of these modern workloads separately are often very complex to manage, can increase costs, and further compound the critical problem of mass data fragmentation.
Cohesity is bringing data management into the modern era by consolidating support for leading hypervisors (VMware, Nutanix AHV, Microsoft Hyper-V), databases and applications (Oracle, SQL, SAP HANA), storage, physical workloads, and now modern workloads, on one software-defined platform. The solution provides a level of protection, recoverability, and manageability previously only available for traditional databases and applications.
“We have seen incredible innovation in how organizations operate their IT environments, but enterprises have not been able to maintain acceptable levels of data management and protection for these new breakthrough solutions,” said Raj Rajamani, vice president of products, Cohesity. “We are helping companies accelerate innovation by extending support for modern applications and environments on the same web-scale platform that customers use to protect and manage traditional workflows.”
Web-Scale Protection for Hadoop and NoSQL Workloads
Through the acquisition of Imanis Data, also announced today, Cohesity now provides backup, recovery, and data management capabilities for Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) workloads and NoSQL distributed databases that were previously available only for traditional databases. These new capabilities empower modern enterprises to achieve greater efficiency and get more out of their data to:
- Simplify data management for HDFS big data workloads and NoSQL distributed databases including MongoDB, Cassandra, CouchBaseDB, Hbase – all on a single platform.
- Provide the flexibility of granular recovery with application-aware, agentless backups.
- Uphold complex data compliance requirements by, for example, automatically masking sensitive information that is copied and utilized for testing and development purposes.
Backup and Recover Containerised Applications as Quickly and Easily as Virtual Machines
Cohesity will deliver backup and recovery capabilities for Kubernetes-based containerised applications that match the level of protection previously available just for virtual machines (VMs). Through native integration with Kubernetes, Cohesity will protect the underlying data and the application state so that enterprises can back up the entire application, not just its data.
Backups for containerised applications will be application-consistent and can be done in “incremental forever” mode, meaning customers only need to perform one full backup and then do incremental backups moving forward -- reducing backup time and simplifying operations. Restores can be done either to the original location or an alternate location, providing disaster recovery and migration options for customers.
Extending Support For SaaS Applications
Cohesity will add greater support for enterprises’ increasing reliance on SaaS applications by extending backup and recovery capabilities for Microsoft Office 365 to include Microsoft OneDrive. This empowers customers to protect against data loss due to error or malware, and to assist with e-discovery or compliance. Cohesity will make it easy to meet security and compliance requirements by leveraging information available in Azure Active Directory, Microsoft's cloud-based identity and access management service, to help customers create backup and recovery policies. These new capabilities will build on existing protections for Microsoft Office 365 Exchange Online that Cohesity unveiled in September 2018.
“Cohesity helped us to transform our backup and recovery process and tap into the advantages of public cloud infrastructure with Microsoft Azure,” said Brian Critchlow, IT systems administrator, Santa Cruz Seaside Company. “With the extended capabilities for Microsoft Office 365 and OneDrive we are able to ensure consistent availability of data for our company.”
“ESG research shows that a growing number of organizations are embracing modern workloads, containerised applications, and SaaS applications which places the onus on IT leaders to protect, manage and make data within those environments more secure and productive,” said Christophe Bertrand, senior analyst, ESG Research. “Cohesity is laser focused on empowering customers to protect and gather insights from this data, while removing data ‘silos’ that can significantly reduce management complexity.”
Cohesity backup and recovery capabilities for HDFS and NoSQL distributed databases are available now. Protection for Kubernetes and Microsoft OneDrive will be available to customers this summer.
For more information:
- Read the blog post, Simplifying Protection of Modern Workloads: https://www.cohesity.com/blog/simplifying-protection-of-modern-workloads
- Read more about Cohesity’s support for Hadoop and NoSQL Distributed Databases: https://www.cohesity.com/solution/databases/distributed-databases
- Read the new solution brief: Hadoop and NoSQL Data Management Made Simple: https://www.cohesity.com/resource-assets/solution-brief/Hadoop-and-NoSQL-Data-Management-Made-Simple-Solution-Brief.pdf
- Read more about Cohesity’s support for Kubernetes containerised applications: https://www.cohesity.com/solution/virtual/containers
- Read the new solution brief: Data Protection for Entire Kubernetes and Container Application Stacks:https://www.cohesity.com/resource-assets/solution-brief/Data-Protection-for-Entire-Kubernetes-and-Container- Application-Stack-Solution-Brief.pdf
- Read more about Cohesity’s expanded support for Microsoft Office 365: https://www.cohesity.com/solution/cloud/office365
- Read the new solution brief: Simpler, Comprehensive Data Protection for Microsoft Office 365: https://www.cohesity.com/resource-assets/solution-brief/Cohesity-Microsoft-365-Solution-Brief.pdf
- Read about Cohesity’s acquisition of Imanis Data: https://www.cohesity.com/press/cohesity-acquires-imanis-data-to-advance-data-protection-for-nosql-and-hadoop-workloads/
- Register for the upcoming webinar: https://www.truthinit.com/register/why-you-need-to-protect-your-modern-distributed-workloads.html
Cohesity makes your data work for you by consolidating secondary storage silos onto a hyperconverged, web-scale data platform that spans both private and public clouds. Enterprise customers begin by radically streamlining their backup and data protection, then converge file and object services, test/dev instances, and analytic functions to provide a global data store. Cohesity counts many Global 1000 companies and federal agencies among its rapidly growing customer base and was named to Forbes’ “Next Billion-Dollar Startups 2017,” LinkedIn’s “Startups: The 50 Industry Disruptors You Need to Know Now,” and CRN’s “2017 Emerging Vendors in Storage” lists. For more information, visit our website: http://www.cohesity.com and blog: https://cohesity.com/blog, follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/cohesity and LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/3750699 and like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cohesity