- 10 June 2004 10:06
Follow the leader, if you can / StorageTek ships StreamLine
~ StorageTek Expands its Information Lifecycle Management Offerings with Worldwide Availability of StreamLine™ SL8500 Modular Library System ~
SYDNEY, Australia -- June 10, 2004 -- StorageTek® (Storage Technology Corporation, NYSE:STK), the provider of the proven foundation for information lifecycle management, extended its leadership in the data storage industry today by announcing the worldwide availability of the StorageTek StreamLine™ SL8500 modular library system.
The SL8500 is the first offering in StorageTek's next-generation StreamLine family of enterprise information lifecycle management solutions offering unmatched consolidation capabilities, high availability, performance and scalability, while minimising the footprint in the data center.
"The SL8500 was designed for the enterprise customer by the enterprise customer," said Philip Belcher, Managing Director for StorageTek Australia / New Zealand. "As the leader in tape automation for more than 20 years with more than 22,000 customers, the SL8500 is the result of listening carefully to customers and taking their recommendations to pioneer a new standard to advance information lifecycle management across the enterprise. The SL8500 provides the ideal consolidation solution to allow customers to store up to petabytes of information at a lower cost. Its ability to provide enterprise-class connectivity and online upgrades, while maintaining a 24x7 pace, allows a superior level of enterprise-class service."
Mr Belcher continued, "StorageTek's customers and partners demand the best in enterprise-class ILM storage services, software, and systems. The SL8500 has redefined the feature set for enterprise-class solutions: multi-platform support, tiered tape storage, automation of management and opportunity for lower overall storage cost of ownership. StorageTek's customers demand enterprise-class ILM and the SL8500 anchors StorageTek's information lifecycle management offerings."
"StorageTek has built upon its clear leadership in enterprise tape storage automation for both mainframe and open systems computing environments and has reached another plateau with the introduction of its SL8500 tape library system, setting the bar for all others to meet," said Robert Abraham, president, Freeman Reports. "The early, enthusiastic reception of the SL8500 by the end-user community is a testament to StorageTek's commitment to delivering advanced storage automation solutions that enable customers to meet their unique storage management challenges with cutting edge technology."
More than 200 Australian customers, partners and prospects previewed the StreamLine SL8500 in May at StorageTek's special 'StreamLine' edition of Let's Talk storage briefings and Solutions Exhibition in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra.
StorageTek's SL8500 modular library system scales from 1,448 to more than 300,000 cartridge slots in an ultra-dense footprint. Its high-performance robotics and hot-swappable, fully redundant components support maximum data accessibility and the ability to keep pace with unpredictable peak workloads, accommodating future demands for higher throughput and overall data growth. With its extreme scalability and support for mixed media and diverse operating environments, the StreamLine SL8500 modular library system is the ideal solution for consolidating enterprise and midrange computing infrastructures.
StorageTek's SL8500, designed as a key enabler for the foundation for enterprise information lifecycle management, offers:
* Any Cartridge Any Slot™ technology -- Accommodates true mixed media and drives -- including StorageTek's advanced fast access T9840C, high capacity T9940B, LTO and SDLT tape drives -- allowing customers to buy the right drive(s) for their applications.
* RealTime Growth™ capability -- Enables the addition of more cartridge slots and drives dynamically while the library is operating to support high availability as customers grow. The library microcode can also be upgraded dynamically to accommodate future drive types while the library is operating.
* Library Console™ software -- Operation panel software for centralised, onsite and remote administration, ensuring advanced datacenter management.
* RaceTrack™ architecture -- Advanced robot mobility design to support multiple, high performance robotics, enabling the SL8500's robots to handle multiple server requests in parallel for enhanced library utilisation across different backup applications. The RaceTrack design allows robots to be replaced while the library is operating and its oval shape minimises system footprint, saving floor space.
* HandBot™ high performance robotics -- High-performance robots for faster, automated cartridge mounts, working in parallel provides over 1,000 mounts per hour to handle the toughest peak workloads today and in the future.
For more information on StorageTek's SL8500, visit StorageTek's worldwide partner network http://www.storagetek.com/products/category_page2000.html.
ABOUT STORAGETEK StorageTek is a $US2 billion global company that enables businesses, through its information lifecycle management strategy, to align the cost of storage with the value of information. The company's innovative storage solutions manage the complexity and growth of information, lower costs, improve efficiency and protect investments.
Learn more about the StorageTek® StreamLine™ SL8500 library system and other enterprise information lifecycle management solutions from StorageTek and our worldwide partners at www.storagetek.com.
TRADEMARKS: StorageTek and the StorageTek logo are registered trademarks of Storage Technology Corporation. Other names mentioned may be trademarks of Storage Technology Corporation or other vendors/manufacturers.
MEDIA CONTACT: Chris Bowes Bowes Communications +61 (0)2 9387 2332 email@example.com
PICTURES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST